Hi all.

I'm pretty sure I fried my motherboard or processor. I'm probably going to leave it to someone else to fix it, but I was just wondering if it possible/advisable to take the hard drive from that machine and put it into another machine (both running XP), hook it up as a slave and back up everything?

Ordinarily I wouldn't bother, but there's a lot of information on that hard drive that is needed tomorrow, and I'm not sure I can get someone to fix the motherboard/processor in time.

If it is possible, are there any pitfalls or dangers that I should know about?

Both copies of XP have different serials btw - 1 is XP Home Edition and the other is XP Media Centre

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

No problems Bud just set the one you want to get info off of and set it as slave hook it up boot it let it recognize and start gathering all you want off.

Thanks a million

hey, if you have formatted it as NTFS and decided to make your folders private when you set up your user account then you will run into problems with messages sayng access denied

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.