Hi all,

Now I have no programing experience, I know very little about this, so please bear in mind.

I am trying to turn a particular excel spreadsheet I have made (the user inputs information and it creates a final answer(result)) and I want to be able to turn this simply into an application. So it is a seperate peice of software to excel.

Can anyone suggest how I can do this?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

Considering you have no programming expericence, any advice we give you would go for waste as you would have having no clue as to how to realize the idea. Learn a programming language of your choice. Maybe then you would be in a position to actually achieve something.

what the hekk is wrong with u, another grumpybastardon the forums. Well maybe someone could point me in the direction of a simple program i could do it with, or a simple autorun type program.

Geez get a life

..and another l33t hax0r kid who thinks he can rule the world. Enjoy your ignorance. Oh and btw, avoid using explicit contents in your post, you might just get banned.

Yes, please try to keep it clean. Bad news, but for your information, its not possible. You could write a program to automate excel, or use VBA to write a GUI for it, but the person running it would require excel on theier pc.

Ok. Anyone know a simple program that can make a simple bit of software where the user inputs various things and it comes out with a final outcoe based on these variables?

Visual Basic?

you could do something like (for example to work out a simple bill)

Dim HoursWorked as Integer
Dim PayPerHour as Integer
Dim CalloutFee as Integer
Dim Total as Integer

CalloutFee = InputBox("What was the callout fee")

PayPerHour  = InputBox("Enter Pay Per Hour")

HoursWorked = InputBox("Enter Hours Worked")

Total = (PayPerHour * HoursWorked) + CalloutFee

Msgbox("Total cost is: $ " & Total & " for the work")

Believe it or not, Visual Basic has a learning curve. And it's made all the more evident when the programmer is impatient or gets angry at people who try to help him/her.

know any good way of writing this into a simple form for a website, so it operates like an xcel formula. some sort of form generator?

For a website?

You could use visual web developer and ASP.NET ?

know any good way of writing this into a simple form for a website, so it operates like an xcel formula. some sort of form generator?

You can always use HTML to create forms and Javascript for programming your logic. Its a matter of 100 lines of code (HTML + Script) depending on the complexity of the formula.

Hi all,

Now I have no programing experience, I know very little about this, so please bear in mind.

I am trying to turn a particular excel spreadsheet I have made (the user inputs information and it creates a final answer(result)) and I want to be able to turn this simply into an application. So it is a seperate peice of software to excel.

Can anyone suggest how I can do this?

Thanks

The easiest way is to lock the cells with a password that you don't want the user to access, then they can enter data into the dataentry cells, but not change your code.

You can cover the hidden cells with colour, put instructions over etc.

Hope this helps

Denis

Hey there. I am an online salesperson and have created an excel worksheet which basically calculates how many units of a certain product I have to sell in order to reach my sales target for that specific product.

In addition, it gives me the exact comission that I am taking on each sale after I input in certain cells the buying and the selling price and the delivery cost.

It also tells me the forcasted unit sales (according to how much it sold on the first day I published it online as well as according to how much it sold the last time I have sold it as well as many other variables).

Basically it calculates things and gives me forecasts and expected outcomes based on variables and relationships that I have established through formulas (which link various cells as well as spreadsheet pages together all in one excel workbook).

Turning this excel sheet into a program whereby all I would have to do would be go into the program and type in my figures inside boxes instead of currently typing them into "empty cells" could help me humungusly.

Can anyone help?
RT

@ ranatarkji1

I know exactly what you are trying to achieve as I'm in the initial stages of doing the same thing as you, but a bit more geared a back office accounting system. I'm guessing what you want is to create data entry forms, search for "excel forms". That should hopefully point you in the right direction (which is where i'll be heading soon) but if you find better ways, please let me know. Google is your friend ;).

Acribos turns excel spreadsheets into custom desktop applications. Build your spreadsheet and then open it in Acribos and you have a desktop application that you can share with others. You can download a version of Acribos at acribos.cloudapp.net.

Together, AppProtect and OfficeProtect can generate and protect EXE (Windows) or APP (Mac) from an Excel .xlsm file. See video demonstration at www.excelsoftware.com.

Hi I want to convert an excel file to an app aswell. How can I convert an excel matrix to database to call data with javascript/html. I know some HTML/css/javascript but I dont know where to start. I want this as a web app.

thanks for help

We're working on a cloud-based app designer allowing you to create apps based on Excel calculators called Calcapp Creator. The calculator described by the original poster, as well as the calculators described by ranatarkji1 and Frequence, should be doable using Calcapp Creator.

You're also welcome to get in touch with us and tell us about your specific requirements.

Thanks.

David Polberger
Neosupport AB

David, when do you think Calcapp Creator will launch?

Hi Grant. We are aiming at having a private beta ready within the next couple of months and we're hoping to make something publicly available sometime after that. (I see that you just signed up for our beta list, so we'll let you know when the private beta is available.)

We have received a lot of great feedback since we started the Calcapp Creator campaign a month ago and we're using that feedback to help shape the product. Note that Calcapp Creator is a web-based tool that serves as a user-friendly means of accessing the Calcapp platform for creating calculator apps. Our development work will thus center around exposing the Calcapp functionality that is already in place.

Thanks for taking an interest in this initiative! If you'd like to tell us more about your requirements, feel free to continue this discussion in this forum or send us a private e-mail.

8 months ago i convert my excel program to application (1 input form and 3 reports)
i used service from www.akuntan.work
cost only around USD 350, finished in 15 days
i hope this can help you

Considering you have no programming expericence, any advice we give you would go for waste as you would have having no clue as to how to realize the idea. Learn a programming language of your choice. Maybe then you would be in a position to actually achieve something.

Hi,

I have been asked this question several times, so I decided to help people create basic apps without the need for a developer.
So I put together a way to author Apps, using Excel. It's called Excelerate (you can find it on the Apple App store for iPad and iPhone).

You can take any Excel spreadsheet, email it to your device and open it in the App. There is then no need for an internet connection, everything happens on your device. The app will display your cells as a list of inputs, and supports multi-select lists, toggles, numerics, barcode scanning etc.
You simply add a 'definition' page to the end of your workbook, a list which states how to layout your inputs.

I use it myself for creating all kinds of 'calculators', because it fully supports Excel formulas - and I can save all my results back to the spreadsheet, then email it. There is no conversion - it's just modifying data in your XLS.

Full disclosure, it is indeed a paid app - a small charge to cover my development time.

Please check AppSheet.com. It can create an App which works on Android/iOS or web browser.

This thread is TEN YEARS OLD. The OP is long gone.

OP may be gone, but this is still relavent.... Any new leads?

Yes you can turn Excel into an application. What you may need to learn more is VBA, learning about coding in this. Certain macros will be making your work done automatically.

It’s very relevant, because it’s what I’ve been searching for.

I have have a workbook with 18 work sheets. Most referring to another in regards to formulas.

I would like it to be in “program” format so when my guys go out on site they can use it and the tables (which the final calculations) are then generated.

For a little more insite, this is for inspection (oil & gas industry).

I hope I’ve explained that well enough.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.