Hi, hope someone can let me know what to do here...
So, I just bought a new laptop for school and need it for architecture/modeling. I ended up with a vaio with an nvidia geforce go 7400 video card and (of course) loaded with vista home premium. The most important program for me right now is Rhino (but I also would like maya and 3dsmax). So my question,

I'm not too savvy, but I know that there are opengl issues and whatnot, but I don't really have any option since my comp has vista and I don't really want to tinker as far as reformatting and just installing xp (seems extreme to me). Do I just wait for drivers and hope that rhino will work? Nvidia's site has "7 series drivers", and "7600/7800 drivers" but they don't seem to work when I download them. Anyone know if they will be making one for me? I still have a coupe of days to return my computer, but I think that this is really a software, not a hardware, problem.

Any advice?

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by iceman47

That would seem the easy answer, right? Nvidia only answers questions for people who buy and register directly from them, and otherwise sent me to sony's page for drivers, where I can download original drivers as installed (not too helpful).
Just wanted to know if anyone else ran into this problem.

Hi, hope someone can let me know what to do here...
So, I just bought a new laptop for school and need it for architecture/modeling. I ended up with a vaio with an nvidia geforce go 7400 video card and (of course) loaded with vista home premium. The most important program for me right now is Rhino (but I also would like maya and 3dsmax). So my question,

I'm not too savvy, but I know that there are opengl issues and whatnot, but I don't really have any option since my comp has vista and I don't really want to tinker as far as reformatting and just installing xp (seems extreme to me). Do I just wait for drivers and hope that rhino will work? Nvidia's site has "7 series drivers", and "7600/7800 drivers" but they don't seem to work when I download them. Anyone know if they will be making one for me? I still have a coupe of days to return my computer, but I think that this is really a software, not a hardware, problem.

Any advice?

If you go to there site (NVIDIA), they will tell you which bugs are affecting the 7 series. Make sure to UN-INSTALL the old driver first, BEFORE installing the update. Also, I read that the chip that NVIDIA had in some of the Laptops was faulty, I remember Dell was one of them (laptops) cannot remember the other. I would stay away from Vista until they iron out their own bugs first, XP Pro SP3 should work fine. Maybe try an ASUS EN9800GT HB/HTDI.

I just installed Rhino 4.0 on my laptop with Vista and a nVidia video card. Initially the partitioned screen was looking all messed up, although if I maximized one of the views that would work fine. Well, it just happens I changed one setting and everything seems to work now. This is what I changed:
File menu >> Properties >> Rhino options >> Appearance >> OpenGL

I just unchecked the box called "Use accelerated hardware modes".

Give this a try and good luck!
TD

what screen were you in when you did this?

what screen were you in when you did this?

============
Just go to the "File" menu on top of your Rhino window, then chosse "Properties", and so on, following the sequence I described, until you get to "Open GL". Once there you uncheck the checkbox I mentioned.

TD

that won't help me, since I do not have a Rhino window, besides that I'm running XP Pro not Vista.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.