I have an Asus board, 512 DDR Ram and a fresh install of XP Pro Svc Pk2. Everything seems to be fine, it flies. One problem is that every once in a while it will freeze; can't control alt delete; have to shut down and reboot. It does not have a pattern. It can happen when I install a program, click a folder on eBay; just any time, so I can't pinpoint specifics of my actions that might do this. Any input appreciated.
Thanks,
BuddyB

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

That a single module of RAM, or two? If it's two, are they identical?

I have one stick of 512.
BuddyB

Heck, buddyb, it could be just about anything!

I'd suggest you make use of the advice given in the "Helping Yourself....." sticky in the Security Forum section and thoroughly clean your system of any trace of virus and/or spyware. You should also uninstall any unnecessary programs installed on your system, particularly downloaded 'freebies' or older versions of software. You could have a software conflict of some sort, where a program is conflicting with another or simply behaving badly.

You should also check your system for signs of overheating. Are all internal fans working as they should, and has the system been opened up and cleaned of dust etc.?

Heck, buddyb, it could be just about anything!

I'd suggest you make use of the advice given in the "Helping Yourself....." sticky in the Security Forum section and thoroughly clean your system of any trace of virus and/or spyware. You should also uninstall any unnecessary programs installed on your system, particularly downloaded 'freebies' or older versions of software. You could have a software conflict of some sort, where a program is conflicting with another or simply behaving badly.

You should also check your system for signs of overheating. Are all internal fans working as they should, and has the system been opened up and cleaned of dust etc.?

I know you're right; could be most anything. It doesn't happen frequently, and at unexpected times. I have Norton, Ad-Aware and Spybot functioning, so I'm not concerned with those difficulties. I'm also staying away from freebies. It's a brand new system; doesn't appear to be overheating, and hasn't been working long enought to collect dust, or enough dust to screw things up..but, you're probably on it from an app conflict, DLLs or something. It may have to get worse before I can really tackle the prob. Thanks for your input; on target.
BuddyB

I'm also quite distrustful of Norton products, even the latest versions of them, and particularly where SP2 is involved. At the very least check to see if there are any 'updates' available apart from virus signature files.

Norton stuff has been notorious for conflicts with other software for years. In fact, I consider them in a similar way to that which I follow for Internet Explorer:

Products which are fundamentally flawed at the core of their design, and for which their designers should start over from scratch and come up with a newer and better core design.

I'm also quite distrustful of Norton products, even the latest versions of them, and particularly where SP2 is involved. At the very least check to see if there are any 'updates' available apart from virus signature files.

I used to have McAfee, but it seemed to be a constant wrestling match with many of the things I was doing, so I ditched it. What do you use? I'm up for suggestions, 'cause once again you're more-than-likely correct.
BuddyB

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.