7/5/2004
I tried to re-install Windows XP Home Edition over the same existing, and operational, Win XP.
The procedure proceeds through ‘Collecting Information’, ‘Dynamic Update’, ‘Preparing Installation’ and ‘Installing Hardware’. At the ‘Installing Windows step, it launches into Scan Disk and restarts the installation all over, and over, and over. Is there a way to force completion, or abort the new installation without having to reformat the HDD?
System is Homebrew 1.6mhz P4 w/ Intel 845 chip set
Email: edrown626@charter.net

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello,

I would save your files off the hard disk, and re-format the hard drive. Also consider making a second partition (a D:) so that if you ahve to re-install again, if all your data is on D:, you will not need to worry about it.

Note that a D: for data will not prevent a problem if a macro virus delets all your files, or adjusts your templates, nor will the D: protect from a hard disk physical failure. BUt making a separate partition D: for your data will isolate it from formats and rebuilds.

Christain

Why were you trying to do a Refresh install? Was the system having crashes and stability problems?

If so, have a look at the RAM installed in your system. Cheap 'n' nasty RAM can cause problems like this, and if you've recently added more RAM, you may end up needing to replace it with something of better quality.

Thanks kc0arf, but unfortunately the computer operating system will not load.
Fortunateky most of my data files are backed up on either a CD or Flash drive. I just hate having to re-install all of my programs and hardware.
Ed

Hello,

I would save your files off the hard disk, and re-format the hard drive. Also consider making a second partition (a D:) so that if you ahve to re-install again, if all your data is on D:, you will not need to worry about it.

Note that a D: for data will not prevent a problem if a macro virus delets all your files, or adjusts your templates, nor will the D: protect from a hard disk physical failure. BUt making a separate partition D: for your data will isolate it from formats and rebuilds.

Christain

No, no crashes or stability problem. I had an indication that one of the XP files might be corrupted, and if so, a refresh would resolve the problem. Now the operating system will not load, so I'm using my Laptop for the time being.

Why were you trying to do a Refresh install? Was the system having crashes and stability problems?

If so, have a look at the RAM installed in your system. Cheap 'n' nasty RAM can cause problems like this, and if you've recently added more RAM, you may end up needing to replace it with something of better quality.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.