Recently I had my computers registry become massively, well we will just say bad. I went to use the DELL Symantec restore ( The control+ f11 deal ) and it says I have unsupported changes to my master bootrecord. Thats fine and I will have to find a different fix but now I cant get out of that restore mode. Everytime it boots up, it boots as if I were hitting control + f11. ANy hints on how to fix this? Or do I have to go get my god damn OS cd. lol Thanks alot

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst located at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I read your post here and wanted to offer some help.

The boot record is specifically built to house the Symantec image on the hidden partition so unfortunately running a fixmbr usually disables the feature for good. You can try running the command and see if it works, but if not then you’ll probably need to break out with the OS CD’s as you feared.

If you are interested in trying to get the data off of the drive you can either try and slaving it to another system or try booting from an Ubuntu CD and see if you can access the data from there. If you go with the CD option try tapping on the F12 key when the system first turns on. This should initiate the one time boot menu to get it to boot from the CD. If this doesn’t work try tapping on F2 at start up and change the sequence in BIOS. I hope this information is useful.

Thank you,

Mike
Dell customer advocate

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.