I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP Professional from my work and it will only let me log in as a former employee. It is an old computer we don't use anymore and I am wondering what I need to do to get the ability to access the account I need to be able to add/remove programs and such, because the account I am under now doesn't let me access things like that. I have tried the ctrl+f11 when the Dell in blue pops up and the only thing that happens is my keyboard no longer works and I am unable to hit ctrl+alt+delete to enter the password and I must turn the computer off and then back on. Our tech guy told me to order a restore disc from Dell. I'm wondering if there is any other way to do this. If not what information would I need to obtain a disc? Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for willis100

Get an xp pro disk and reformat and reinstall the OS

Thank you for the response. Would I need to buy the disc or is there a way I could download it and burn it to a blank CDR?

try starting in safe mode, log in as the administrator, then you can make changes to the user accounts, or creat another administrator account

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP Professional from my work and it will only let me log in as a former employee. It is an old computer we don't use anymore and I am wondering what I need to do to get the ability to access the account I need to be able to add/remove programs and such, because the account I am under now doesn't let me access things like that. I have tried the ctrl+f11 when the Dell in blue pops up and the only thing that happens is my keyboard no longer works and I am unable to hit ctrl+alt+delete to enter the password and I must turn the computer off and then back on. Our tech guy told me to order a restore disc from Dell. I'm wondering if there is any other way to do this. If not what information would I need to obtain a disc? Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

You can try this to find the passwords and access any other other accounts on the system - http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.