Hey when I go to read japanese text all that appears are boxes, what do I need to download to read japanese text on web sites and where do I go to download it?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

First of all, make sure Internet Explorer 6 is installed on your computer. When you go to the sites that have Japanese text, you should have been presented at some point or another to install a Japanese Language pack. I got this straight from IE's help files:

To correctly display Web pages encoded in any language

Most Web pages contain information that tells the browser what language encoding (the language and character set) to use.

If the page does not include that information, and you have the Language Encoding Auto-Select feature on, Internet Explorer can usually determine the appropriate language encoding.

To turn Auto-Select on

On the View menu in Internet Explorer, point to Encoding, and then make sure Auto-Select has a check mark. If it doesn't, select it.
If you are prompted to download language support components, click Download.

If Auto-Select cannot determine the correct language encoding, and you know what language encoding it should be, you can manually select it.

To select the language encoding for a Web page

On the View menu, point to Encoding, point to More, and then click the appropriate language.
If you are prompted to download language support components, click Download.

Notes

If the Auto-Select feature or a specific language pack is not installed on your computer, Internet Explorer prompts you to download the files as needed.
Adding languages does not guarantee that your computer has a font that can display Web pages in your preferred languages. To be prompted when fonts need to be added, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and then select the Enable Install On Demand check box. Or you can download a Multilanguage support pack to display pages in this language.
You can add a Language Encoding button to your toolbar to make switching between languages quicker.

hi i am just having the same problem but this time with text files.Every time i open a japanese text file it reads "@ƒvƒŠƒ~ƒeƒBƒu‚̃NƒŠƒbƒsƒ“ƒ" i downloaded microsofts japanese language pack and i already have ime but still it does not change. each time i open a text file there still that @ƒvƒŠƒ~ƒeƒBƒu‚̃NƒŠƒbƒsƒ“ƒ thingy.Can you please help?thanxx in advance

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.