I just installed a 2.8 prescott chip, running windows 2k pro. Windows says I have a acpi multiprocessor system. And task manager shows 2 cpu usage boxes. Any ideas why?

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by DMR

I wasn't aware that it would show as another cpu though. Some games have small graphical glitches unless I set it for cpu0 only.

hehe...

I don't claim to be an Intel Expert, but isn't Hyperthreading special because the chip has dual execution units, so there's two execution units feeding data to the core, thus making the system seem like a dual system?

hehe...

I don't claim to be an Intel Expert, but isn't Hyperthreading special because the chip has dual execution units, so there's two execution units feeding data to the core, thus making the system seem like a dual system?

In a nutshell, yes- you've got it Alex.

A Hyperthreaded CPU implements 2 logical "Architectural States" which share the same physical core; the OS will see/identify each logical portion as a separate processor. In fact, if you have an OS which supports two (or more) physical processors, and each of those processors were hyperthreading, the OS would report that you have 4 (or more) processors.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.