Hi i have a computer and a laptop.
I have wireless internet using a router.
I cant get into the router because the password doesn't work and anyone can use my router if their within distance of it. I tried the reset button but the router automatically sets itself back up therefore i cannot get into the router settings to add security or change the password. I wiped my laptop because i thought there was information on it that is setting up the router automatically. i also tried to wipe my computer but its having non of it i have tried system restore deleting all programmes from add or remove programmes but still when i put the boot cd in turn the computer off, turn it back on it doesn't say "Press any key to boot from CD" i press keys any way but it just wont boot from cd i believe i have hackers or viruses that just wont be deleted without getting wiped a friend told me its probably hacker as he says wireless internet is really easy to hack and get into peoples files and computer systems without them having a clue its happening so i want to wipe both my computer and laptop again and reinstall the router and set up security on it.

I appreciate any help i can get
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

thanks ill take a look now

WEll that doesnt work either the computer just wont boot up from disk or floppy or usb

Can you boot in Safe mode?
How far do you get in the booting process?

Are you able to get into your Bios via the F2 key?

If you want to delete everything on your HDD's then reformating them would be the best option to do, this involves deleting everything on them.

I tried the reset button but the router automatically sets itself back up
Thanks

then you didn't hold the button in long enough !try about 35-40 seconds or untill the lights flash on the router .yes leave it plugged in when holding the button .

then you didn't hold the button in long enough !try about 35-40 seconds or untill the lights flash on the router .yes leave it plugged in when holding the button .

Capperjack's right.

Also formating you computers is kind of a waste of time correct me if i'm wrong but the wireless router is a stand alone device so even if both pc's are down your router should still work, so you have to reset the router to it's default settings.

if in doubt read the manual ;)

Capperjack's right.

Also formating you computers is kind of a waste of time correct me if i'm wrong but the wireless router is a stand alone device so even if both pc's are down your router should still work, so you have to reset the router to it's default settings.

if in doubt read the manual ;)

and you are also right ,once router is setup you could sell the computer/remove it from the house , and the router will still work as a wireless connection as long as it remains connected to ISP

Hi yes i could get into safe mode but what do you do in safe mode?

Are you able to get into your Bios via the F2 key?

Yes i can get into bios

If you want to delete everything on your HDD's then reformating them would be the best option to do, this involves deleting everything on them.

how do i reformat my hdd please
thanks

1.) Hold the re-set button longer, as previously mentioned, on the router What make & model is it?

2.) On the PC or notebook not booting from CD, you may need to get into the BIOS and change the BOOT order and/or bootable devices. What makes & models?

3.) Most wireless routers require an Ethernet cable be connected to the router to configure it. You will need to know the "default" IP address and use a browser to access it.

4.) If you are serious about wiping your disk clean, then killdisk, as previously mentioned, is the way to go. You will need to be able to boot from a CD, although I think a bootable floppy option still exists.

1.) Hold the re-set button longer, as previously mentioned, on the router What make & model is it?

2.) On the PC or notebook not booting from CD, you may need to get into the BIOS and change the BOOT order and/or bootable devices. What makes & models?

3.) Most wireless routers require an Ethernet cable be connected to the router to configure it. You will need to know the "default" IP address and use a browser to access it.

4.) If you are serious about wiping your disk clean, then killdisk, as previously mentioned, is the way to go. You will need to be able to boot from a CD, although I think a bootable floppy option still exists.

Thanks i have now sorted my router out i just wasnt holding it down for long enough.
now about the cd i changed order of boot sequence but that doesnt work either and i dont know what you mean about makes of models for bootable devices

Also killdisk doesnt work because i cant boot from cd,floppy or usb the computer just wont boot from anything

The make and model of the computer you are trying to boot from CD. I assume you made the CD drive first in the boot order. Correct? The message confirming that you want to boot from CD does not stay on the screen for long, so you need to look close if you get to that point. Have you verified that the CD drive is working properly?

The make and model of the computer you are trying to boot from CD. I assume you made the CD drive first in the boot order. Correct? The message confirming that you want to boot from CD does not stay on the screen for long, so you need to look close if you get to that point. Have you verified that the CD drive is working properly?

The computer is alpine and its not a specific model because it was custom made for us
yes i did do that
um i think the cd drive is working because when i go on my computer the cd comes on and that and i can load cds and computer games

If you are planning on reformating your HDD, then you will need to enter MyComputer, then right click on your main disc drive select 'Format' , then follow the process through. This will erase all the data on your HDD, please be sure that you back-up any data that you want kept before doing this drastic measure. This is a last chance scenario to do a re-format of your HDD.

It sounds like you have a working CD drive. Are you sure that the CD you have is a bootable CD? What CD is it? Can you test it on another computer? Just don't perform any fuctions from the CD if it boots on another PC.

If you are planning on reformating your HDD, then you will need to enter MyComputer, then right click on your main disc drive select 'Format' , then follow the process through. This will erase all the data on your HDD, please be sure that you back-up any data that you want kept before doing this drastic measure. This is a last chance scenario to do a re-format of your HDD.

ok im guessing the main disc drive is the c drive however i tried to format this and it says unable to reformat it is being used and i cannot understand why i restarted the computer and tried it again without opening anything up and it says the same so does this mean the computer is trashed and nothing can be done with it?

It sounds like you have a working CD drive. Are you sure that the CD you have is a bootable CD? What CD is it? Can you test it on another computer? Just don't perform any fuctions from the CD if it boots on another PC.

yes its the disc that came with the computer in the first place for wiping the computer the disc also works in my laptop

yes its the disc that came with the computer in the first place for wiping the computer the disc also works in my laptop

Your laptop boots from the CD with the CD in your laptop? Then I would have to say something isn't right yet in the BIOS for the Boot sequence. If your laptop is not booting from the CD, but from the hard drive (normal), then it isn't a boot CD. If it is a recovery CD, perhaps it needs to be launched in Windows to start the process.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.