Friday morning I had a folder on one of my drives partitions; Monday morning, the entire folder is missing. I've searched all the drives for some of the things in the folder in case it somehow got moved, but searches turned up nothing. All I can think is that somehow it got deleted. As far as I can tell, it's the only thing missing, and there are other folders on that same partition that are still there and open normally. I even used Safe Mode and looked in other users files to see if it got moved into one of them, but again, no luck.

There is a program called Search & Recover that sells for around $40. I'm wondering if I need a program like this or if there's another way to recover this missing folder? Does anyone know if this program actually works, or of another one that will?

Thanks for any help!

BTW, I don't think it matters, but I finally got rid of a nasty trojan Friday evening; is there any possibility at all that could have anything to do with the missing folder?

Recommended Answers

All 34 Replies

That could have something to do with it, for sure. More specifically, whatever tool you used to remove the Trojan may have also removed the folder.

If you want to recover the missing files, the more you use that PC the less chance you will have of success ;)

If you are sure it was deleted, yes, you can recover it. Even if it was deleted by a trojan, there is still a chance of recovery. Files are not completely deleted until they are written over, and even then, if you try hard enough, you can restore the deleted object. I suggest this program to restore it: Restorer. When looking at the file names, remember that some files are renamed when deleted/moved to the recycle bin (Dc*.filetype, etc...).

If you are sure it was deleted, yes, you can recover it. Even if it was deleted by a trojan, there is still a chance of recovery. Files are not completely deleted until they are written over, and even then, if you try hard enough, you can restore the deleted object. I suggest this program to restore it: Restorer. When looking at the file names, remember that some files are renamed when deleted/moved to the recycle bin (Dc*.filetype, etc...).

Thanks Senter, I used the Restoration program and it looks like I'll be able to get back just about everything. A couple of things have been corrupted -- probably from using that drive a bit.

The only thing I don't like is that I can only recover one file at a time, is there a way to select multiple files for recovery? The one-at-a-time is working, but very tedious and time consuming as I had literally hundreds of files there. This was my backup drive, luckily only one folder was deleted. Guess I'd better start backing up on two drives or burning a lot of CD's.

I don't know anyway to select multiple files with any freeware products that restore. Sorry.

In the readme file ,that comes with the download ,there is a email address for tech support ,ash the builder if there is a way to select all or more of the file ,maybe even ash them to update it to do so !

Undelete has an Emergency Undelete feature which can recover deleted files. It runs from the CD-ROM, so you don't run the risk of overwriting the deleted files when you install the undeleting program.

In the readme file ,that comes with the download ,there is a email address for tech support ,ash the builder if there is a way to select all or more of the file ,maybe even ash them to update it to do so !

Good idea, I'll do that.

I said before that I had several hundred files, well actually there are nearly 25,000 according to Restorer. About 20% of these are NPROTECT. If that's the case, shouldn't I have been able to restore these with Norton somehow?

25.000,what the heck did you delete !!

25.000,what the heck did you delete !!

"I" didn't delete it, it was either another user (though I doubt it), the trojan itself, or the process of removing the trojan; I don't think these last two are very likely either, but something/someone did in fact delete it.

Like I mentioned before, this is my backup drive. I had most of the things I wanted to keep in this folder: pictures, emails, documents, presentations, etc.

The good news is, I can get the majority of it back; it will just take some time restoring them one-by-one.

I came into this thread a little late but if I may offer some advise.

Recently my wife managed to destroy the fat table on her pictures drive.
Lost was over 4 yrs worth of hentai collecting - or approx 10 Gb of pictures , movies etc.
After searching the internet and talking to a couple of people "in the know" 1 program was recomemded.
Get Data Back

I purchased this program online from Australia .It cost me approx $AU150
Within 3 hrs I had managed to recover 98 % of the lost files.If you are prepared to buy and register this program I don't think you will be diasspointed.
It come in several differant flavours for FAT,NTFS several other flavours.
I bought the fat version and it was extremely easy to use .If the NTFS version is anything like it then you should have no problem recovering 25,000 files in a single afternoon.

Regards
~Sam~

hi,
i have deleted a file LEN ASSIGNMENT which is very important yesterday evening....i have even emptied the recycle bin.
Is there any possibilities that i can get back my file?

Hi,
You should start a new thread with your problem, but,
First thing to do is nothing, do not load or save anything to your PC.
Go to:-
http://aumha.org/a/recover.php
for some information on your problem.
You can follow the advice there or on another PC, download a file restore program (Google- recover deleted file from recycle bin) you will find many available. Then use the program to find and restore your lost files.
Remember...don't do anything that can alter your hard drive as you could overwrite your files and never be able to get them back.

Hi again,
Don't worry about expensive programs you can buy, there are plenty of good free programs available on the net Try this one from Majorgeeks.com
http://majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html
Near the top of the XP page here on Daniweb, there is a thread for good programs, look there if you want another choice.

Remember, your deleted files are still there (if you have not copied over them yet) anything to save to your PC can overwrite your files and they will be lost forever without a very expensive multi-layer data recovery program. If you have a second drive or partition, you can save anything you like there but not to the drive where your OS is located.

i deleted file from c drive plz inform me how should be recover plz tell me

i deleted file from c drive plz inform me how should be recover plz tell me

There is a lot of free software to recover even after you have emptied recycle bin.
I tend to use Recuva which you ca download from http://www.piriform.com/recuva

i used Ctrl+ Delete and all my files are gone , i want to restore them back , can i?

Hi All,

I have read that we should not use the system much after deleting the file/folder. My question is, in which case the data is overwritten when we use the system. Like, in my case, i deleted one complete folder (how many files were there, i dont remember may be approx 150-200 files all together) 3 weeks ago ... i realized it today after 3 weeks. in these 3 weeks, my system was completely switched off(not used at all) for 16 days and rest of the days, I just switched on did some regular stuff and switched off again .. I didnt download anything, neither did i save any new document in my system .. are there still any chances to loose the deleted files which i want to recover ...

please help !!!!!

Hi All,

are there still any chances to loose the deleted files which i want to recover ...

please help !!!!!

sure there is ,so get running that recurva program now

@caperjack:

Thank you for your reply .. I will test it this weekend and hopefully i am able to recover my imp files from that folder. I am desparate to get atleast to get a few back ...

anyways thanks again !!!!!

The data that are deleted from the recycle bin are not permanently deleted,to recover it you can use ParetoLogic software,it is available on net,you can download it with free of cost,then Scan and preview the items you want to recover.This program scours your hard drive for deleted files from your Recycle bin and then brings them back to life.

@aneechopper/@caperjack: thank you for your reply .. what if we do shift delete? Can i still recover the files? Pls help ...

@aneechopper/@caperjack: thank you for your reply .. what if we do shift delete? Can i still recover the files? Pls help ...

sure ,a deleted file is a deleted file .when you delete files from the recycle bin ,they are further deleted the next time the computer is shutdown and rebooted

Hi All,

thank you for recommending the software Recuva. It indeed did recover most of my documents. I dont remember what all was there in that folder. All that matters to me is, I got the documents I was looking for. It worked. I am so glad. Thanks once again.

regards,

Hi All,

thank you for recommending the software Recuva. It indeed did recover most of my documents. I dont remember what all was there in that folder. All that matters to me is, I got the documents I was looking for. It worked. I am so glad. Thanks once again.

regards,

that great to hear ,happy computing ,and be sure to start backing up important data to dvd's for safe keeping

Thank you! I will start doing that. Cheers !!!!!

how to use stored procedures in asp page ,and i want to assign it to Dropdownlist box

how to use stored procedures in asp page ,and i want to assign it to Dropdownlist box

hi, instead of hijacking this old thread about recovering deleted file please start you own thread explaining what it is you want to do

Yes you can surely recover your deleted files just follow this link then you are there Click Here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.