I'm a new threader so be gentle with me.
I run a 3-year old PC with Windows XP Home edition and I use it for my AutoCAD work. Stupidly, I do not have a recent backup (I put files on CD's). So I do not want to format my HDD or destroy data in any way.
I loaded Norton GoBack and I suspect that this caused my current problems. Anyhoo, I have been trying various things to get the PC to boot Windows but everything has failed so far. The PC will boot with the Recovery CD in and after choosing the 1.C:\Windows option and entering Administration password (enter actually) I get the the C:\Windows prompt.
Using the DOS screen I have taken these actions.
I have followed advice and done these things:
1. Removed GoBack by using gb_prog.exe file copied onto a floppy
2. Made a boot disk but it will not start Windows
3. Selected "R" from the boot CD
4. Used the F10 option at Startup and run the Recovery Program
5. Run PC in Safe Mode - all available options
6. Followed the advice of Charlie White and used the DOS screen to remove these files from the c:\windows\system32\config\ system, software, sam, security and default. Replacing them each with files from the c:\windows\repair folder. Then after rebooting the PC is supposed to boot to a basic XP version.
BUT - none of this worked culminating in the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\inf\biosinfo.inf
Obviously, I could copy this from another PC (this one) and sopy it to the directory but previous experience shows that this may then prompt a message that another file is missing.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE?
I would be so grateful for help. There may be other steps I've already taken and forgottoen. Either way, nothing has worked.
Look forward to hearing from you... UK_spencer