So I have a question. Recently while I was in Europe I purchased a Torax AMD 4200 computer bundle complete with an LCD monitor equipped with XP Professional edition… I bought it due to the fact that I was going to be there for a very long time, that taking my computer from home was not practical, and that I needed a new machine anyways..

Now that I am back, while I was in Germany I have had it shipped to my address in Canada figuring that all I would need to do to make it work would be to replace the power box and electrical cords with a Canadian voltage friendly brand, and reinstall XP Professional with an XP Professional English installation disc (as I am assuming it doesn’t matter what the product key is as its universal, what matters is the primary language of the installation disc, right?)

I am left wondering, am I right or terribly wrong?

In Europe they have a higher voltage then we do in Canada, so much so that you would blow your equipment without a proper voltage converter. When I was upgrading the graphics card in the tower and took it apart, everything looked pretty much the same to me except the power boxes electrical cord plugged into the computer with a three pronged plug in, yet ended into the houses electrical socket with European two metal prong end…. Would all I need to do to make the computer work safely on Canadian electrical currents be to replace the PSU box with a Canadian brand? And is my plan to reinstall windows XP professional with an English recovery disc using the same product key on the tower casing probable? And I”m not sure what to do with the LCD screen as I cant replace any of the internal electrical components, so would it blow if I tried plugging it into a Canadian outlet with an electrical cord, double ended three pronged plug in?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You can buy a voltage transformer that steps you up from 110v 60Hz to 230v 50Hz. When you plug in 110v I don't think anything'll happen or go phut - but that's a reasonable guess. You could simply replace the PSU with the same output wattage and form factoe local brand. Perhaps 30 minutes work but with care.

On Windows install, just buy a US/Canada keyboard and set your region and language settings in the currently installed Windows.

The two LCD screens I have use a DC transformer which has a 100-v-240v/50-60Hz range. If that's the same with yours, just stick a Canadian plug on the end and cut off the European end; or plug a mains adapter into your plug and pplug the screen in directly. Do check that you have this transformer as part of the mains chain or else it'll go flash.

None of this is a big deal and you're nearly ready to go once you've dealt with the computer's PSU.

commented: quick and insightful +4

Thanks for the reassuring comments.

I think the best bet is just replacing the PSU. A voltage transformer just leaves open to many undesirable possibilities and safely speaking, Id rather just avoid catastrophe by spending 30 bucks instead of purchasing a new motherboard because it fried

The choice is yours. I'd have gone for the voltage transformer! But you're right that there is a risk factor, however small.

You probably don't have a motherboard manual, so it might be a good idea to take a photo of your mobo with the power leads clealry shown because you need to correctly reassign these from the new PSU.

You could then dismantle the PSU and take it to the shop for double assurance.

What about the screen. Are you sorted there?

I have no idea how to work with the screen considering it dosent have a power box I can take out and replace as far as I know.

Many, if not most, LCD screens have a plug in power cord like on an MP3 player. That cord leads to a small transformer box which has a specification on it (like 100 - 240v, 50Hz/60Hz). Into that box goes a mains lead which can be European or Canadian. If that's the type of power arrangemtn you have, then you only need a Canadian power cord or a plug on the end of your existing power cable.

If your LCD monitor plugs directly into the mains, then you should check on the back of a monitor for a 110/230V screw/switch and a specification tab to confirm the dual power capability.

If neither of the above pertains, then you'll have to scrap the monitor or buy the previously mentioned step up mains transformer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, learning, and sharing knowledge.