I tried the steps from the Microsoft support link but I cannot, or it will not let me, get past the first line- copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak, I get a message saying it cannot be copied, does this mean a reformat and total re-installation, or have I missed something.

CHECK LIST:
Missing system file error message-CHECK
XP CD(for recovery console)-CHECK
Computer-CHECK
Support page link(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us)-CHECK
Brain-Ummm-So So

Ammended post-I carried on with the next line in sequence
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
but the same message comes up.I don't think I need to go any further.
It might be my hard drive is all screwy,but, any input would be muchly appreciated
thank you

Jimbo

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

1/
Did you first MD TMP as a sub-directory in C:\windowes?

2/
What is the EXACT message please? We're thousands of miles away and you've got the detail right in frfont of you - detail matters.

3/
Does this directory still exist:
c:\windows\system32\config\system

4/
What was your original problem that necessitated this action?

1/
Did you first MD TMP as a sub-directory in C:\windowes?

2/
What is the EXACT message please? We're thousands of miles away and you've got the detail right in frfont of you - detail matters.

3/
Does this directory still exist:
c:\windows\system32\config\system

4/
What was your original problem that necessitated this action?

Thank you for your reply
ok then
the message is as follows

C:\windows\system32\config\system file Missing Or Corrupt.

then I came here and read some of the info here on how I might be able to fix this problem.Yes I typed exactly what the MS support page guide said to type, I got this far because of the message I was getting.

[[I]Sub-Directory[/I]]
C:\windows
md tmp [ENTER]
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak [ENTER]
error.file cannot be copied
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak [ENTER]
error.file cannot be copied

and thought it fruitless to go further.
Now I only see one road to travel without having to go through a whole lot of DOS commands.Remember, this is not my computer, I am just trying to help her cause she don't want to foot a bill (cheap date :D ), so I thought I'd reach out and tech somebody, did I mention she was female.Patience is not her strongest asset:). So what can we do?,if I have to,I will go through a tedious DOS process in order to gain some exp points

You could (with quotes)
Dir c:\windows\system32\config\system just to confirm whether or not the file System is in the directory or indeed that the config directory is still there.

But I think you're right. There is only one road to travel to be sure. You've also got to get to the cause of the problem if you try an in situ fix.

Keep us posted.

You could (with quotes)
Dir c:\windows\system32\config\system just to confirm whether or not the file System is in the directory or indeed that the config directory is still there.

But I think you're right. There is only one road to travel to be sure. You've also got to get to the cause of the problem if you try an in situ fix.

Keep us posted.

Thank you mate
huh..what do ya know? the directory is there but empty....can I just put a copy of the system file from the cd into this directory, or does it need to have already been in there from installation, for system information purposes and what not?
As for the cause of the problem, apparently the computer was accidently unplugged whilst in operation, so I'm guessing something fried and an "in situ" fix(had to look that up at dictionary.com:) )would be of no help....thank you very much for your input.Am sure I will be back with more episodes of "Downfalls to living in a digital ocean"...thanks again

Jimbo

If the directory is empty (and you're sure you have set Explorer options to view hidden & system files), then the best way of doing this is to use the windows repair function by booting from your windows CD. You won't lose data.

But yes, as per the MS article, you can in theory just copy them back. It depends what state your registry is in etc. So I would try that and if no good, REPAIR.

Thank you everyone, I appoligise for the late gratitude, gotta love system repair...thanks again everyone

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.