My computer froze yesterday and i restarted it and it took me to the screen where it gives you the option to start normally, start in safe mode, start in safe mode with networking
i have tried to start it in all of them when i select one of the options it will start and go to a black screen that says windows xp then just goes back to that sceen with the safe mode options i have no clue what to do can someone please help me i dont want to lose all the stuff onthe computer.:(

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

When this happens, it is usually "telling" you that it can't start in anything but Safe Mode.. When that fails (as you have described), you can try going back to the last known good configuration (one of the options).

If that doesn't work, you can put in your XP disk (or Vista or whatever) and boot up with the CD. Go to the repair console (one of the options) and then repair or re-install Windows.

If there is any danger that you might have to wipe your disk, then you'll need to put your existing hard drive onto another PC (like in a USB enclosure) and stream your files off.

So those are the likely steps in the right sequence.

Good luck.

Thank you so much i will give it a go

When this happens, it is usually "telling" you that it can't start in anything but Safe Mode.. When that fails (as you have described), you can try going back to the last known good configuration (one of the options).

If that doesn't work, you can put in your XP disk (or Vista or whatever) and boot up with the CD. Go to the repair console (one of the options) and then repair or re-install Windows.

If there is any danger that you might have to wipe your disk, then you'll need to put your existing hard drive onto another PC (like in a USB enclosure) and stream your files off.

So those are the likely steps in the right sequence.

Good luck.

Hi there
I tried going back to the last known good configuration but it is still doing the same thing going back to tha safe mode screen. Do i have any other optios other than to re-install windows

try the repair option as suspiso stated, it does not mean you have to wipe your hdd. try these repair option in this order chkdsk /f then fixboot or fixmbr restart after each to chek if they fix the problem..... if non of those work u will have to think about putting the hdd in another pc and backing up your files. because the next step would be a clean install.

To add to bobbyraw's sound advice, let's just look at possible causes. To my mind there are three in no order of probability:

1/
A glitch has caused corruption to a key file on your HDD; a mains glitch for example. It happens.

2/
There was/is a memory fault that breached Windows kernel protection and a key HDD file was corrupted. I discount a mobo hardware fault because the computer is otherwise functioning.

3/
Infection by trojan or virus. In that case a repair may not remove the cause and you should run SpyBot against your system if it repairs OK.

Btw, chkdsk /f is partially destructive; any bad blocks will be mapped round and the files concerned are usually lost. Hence the need to repair or rebuild.

Keep us posted.

Try a System restore from DOS.

Starting System Restore Tool from Command Prompt:
1. Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

NOTE: You must log on as the administrator or a user that has administrator rights.
2. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.

Try a System restore from DOS.

Starting System Restore Tool from Command Prompt:....

He can't get into Safe Mode. He has to start from the Windows CD.

It's not clear to me that he's tried Safe Mode/Command prompt.

thats an option that would not work as he cannot boot into any mode if fix boot or MBR does not work he would definately have to do a clean install

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.