Hi, my laptop is an Acer Aspire 5101AWLMi AMD MK36 2GHz, 1GB DDR2 with Windows XP Media Centre Edition SP2.

I installed Nokia software for my phone. To cut a long story short it went wrong and I did a system restore. itunes and quicktime stopped working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No joy so went on a few forums, tried windows clean uninstall, deleting quicktime from registry and program files and still errors.

AOL detected no Quicktime and has put on version 6.5 automatically which came with a quicktime updater. That detects there are updates and tries to download mpeg4 but fails and says sever busy.

When I download the latest quicktime stand alone installer it says the data for this product is corrupt when I run it. When I download the combined itunes/quicktime installer it says a more up to date verion of quicktime is installed so installation cannot continue.

Been on with this for quite a while now and it's getting really frustrating.

Please help me!

Thanks.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by dtcmusic

find the directory that quick time is installed on, delete it, then try installing a genuine download of the program. Make sure you are logged on as an administrator.

Hi, thanks for replying. I did what you said but I just got the same error message. Windows Installer! The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel.

u have to find all traces of quicktime and delete it. ensure to clean up temp files too

That's easier said than done. I've tried to do this via the registry, program files, windows system32 file. I just can't seem to sort it out. I don't know why the quicktime installer is saying data corrupt. Maybe I deleted something I shouldn't. I'm wondering if I should try to reinstall an earlier version of my registry. I have some back ups I made with CCleaner.

I had to do a system restore then reinstalled Quicktime without the error.

Thanks but I've solved it with a system restore. I'd already tried that method and it didn't work. Wish I could do a system restore on Sunderland FC, they just lost 7-1. I'm off to drown my sorrows.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.