Ok to start off I'll say that I have some, but not extreme amounts of computer knowledge.... I know there are some genius threads I've been unable to understand so bear with me on any advice you have to give lol.

I have my desktop hooked up wireless to my home network using a Netgear Wireless G mimo router... just got it a few weeks ago. I have a wireless card I installed... not connected via usb. The PC has a wonderful connection no problems at all.
I have my xbox 360 in my room and don't want to run a ethernet cord all the way here from my router, so I figured I could just plug the xbox 360 into the ethernet slot on my PC that is being unused because I'm connecting wirelessly through my wireless card!

I'm having tons of trouble. I have read for about 2 hours about how to get my xbox 360 media center and xbox live connected through my PC. I'm using Win XP SP2, have a great wireless signal to my PC and I just need someone to break it down into simple steps on what do change the network settings to on my PC / xbox 360 and if I need a static IP and if I need to create a new network connection on my PC and all that stuff. PLEASE.
If that's too much to ask could someone please give me a link to an in depth tut on how to do so? I can't find one anywhere! Thanks in advance, I'm sure most will think this is child's play lol.

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

According to Xbox website, you cannot connect to internet this way. See this
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/default.htm

From Xbox site:
"The Xbox 360 console supports only the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter and Xbox Live Compatible wireless-to-Ethernet bridges, routers, and gateways bearing the Xbox Live Compatible logo."
Just buy Xbox WiFi adaptor.

shoot... well I know I have seen people do it before, it can be tricky with a lot of stuff involved but they have done it. I don't want to go buy that thing and suddenly it connects very poorly to xbl and all that, I pretty much intended on getting the wireless adapter I just wanna see how a wireless connection can handle xbl.
Oh and would it have to be the microsoft brand wifi adapter? Or could I just use a different USB adapter... probably find one much cheaper that way lol

Suggest you find these people who have done it before; do they really exist!?

Hello there,
Saw your thread and thought i may be able to help. I am using the same set up
as you.....pc connected wire-lessly to a router and then my xbox 360 plugged in
via and ethernet cable in another room...I am using Vista ultimate and successfully
can go onto xbox live. The way i got it working was to create a bridged connection
between my wireless card and network card in the network connection manager.
This is the only way i have got it to work as the xbox cant connect to live when i
just have the two connections un-bridged. Hope that can help you out a little.
Rgds Josh

Hi Guys,
I had the same problem. Main pc in the study with router and kids pc in bedroom connected wirelessly to the router in the study.
I wanted xbox live in kids room. The cable that came with the xbox360 is a cat5. You have to get a crossover cable and plug into xbox and pc. Go to network connections and right click on the wireless connection, click properties and go to advanced tab, in the internet connection sharing part make sure both boxes are ticked.
I set the xbox ip and dns and stuff to automatic.
That's all i did. Remember the cable must be a crossover.
I think this will be useful to most of you who have been searching and searching.
But I'm only a mum of four, how much could I possibly know, right? Hehehe

Ok I have it working! This is really awesome :]
I just plugged my standard xbox 360 network cable into my network slot and bridged my wireless connection and LAN connection... wow ez lol.
Only problem... I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not, but I've played like 4 games of halo now and I've been booted from 3 of them.

XBox 360 question: My pc is cabled to the internet and I use a router (Linksys WRT54G v. 5)to allow my wife to get internet access on her pc. Works fine. Question is: what do I need to wirelessly get my son on Xbox live on his new premium 360 console down the hall? Another router or......? Thank you for any help.

XBox 360 question: My pc is cabled to the internet and I use a router (Linksys WRT54G v. 5)to allow my wife to get internet access on her pc. Works fine. Question is: what do I need to wirelessly get my son on Xbox live on his new premium 360 console down the hall? Another router or......? Thank you for any help.

If you're saying your wife's PC is connected wirelessly through a wireless router? All you need to get is the wireless USB adapter for the xbox 360. Or you can plug your xbox 360 into the ethernet jack in your wife's PC and bridge the 2 connections like I did and do it that way. Basically turns the wireless card in your laptop into a wireless access point.
You can use the microsoft brand usb wireless adapter at a lot of stores, they sell for about $100 but you can find them on ebay for about half that. I think you can use a wireless USB access point of a different brand, they are usually cheaper... just be sure it's one compatible with your router.

Are you saying that if I get a wireless USB adapter for the xbox 360, then the xbox will pick up the wireless internet signals from my current router?

Alright guys....i am pretty computer illeterate, so i was wondering if you could explain how to bridge the LAN connection to the other connection. I run vista. If someone could help me it would be appreciated.

I think you highlight the two connections so they are blue, then right click on them and it should say bridge connections. Then click on that.

Are you saying that if I get a wireless USB adapter for the xbox 360, then the xbox will pick up the wireless internet signals from my current router?

Exactly.

Another question for anyone who could help me. I've got my xbox 360 connected to my PC through my network port, connect through a wireless connection and I have bridged the connections in order to play on xbox live through the PC. It works very well, very solid connection. The only problem is, I get booted from the game pretty consistently when I'm playing, but it doesn't totally disconnect me xbox live, just from the game. If anyone here has played halo on xbox live, it sends me into a blue screen and says acquiring new host (or something like that) the exact same way it would do if the host of the match quit the game, except when I get out of the blue screen I'm the only one left in the game... meaning i was disconected from the host. Any settings I can change or anything I can tweak to make it hold the connection better?

This website has instructions on how to connect your xbox 360 wirelessly via a latop or modified router to xbox live. More importantly these are cheap options compared to the standard xbox 360 wireless adaptor:)

How to connect to xbox live wirelessly

Hello:) This will hopefully help those of you who cannot/don't want to but the official xbox 360 wireless adaptor.

There are several different methods of connecting your 360 to xbox live wirelessly:

1) Official xbox wireless adapter
2) ICS/Network bridge connection with a wireless laptop/pc
3) Modified router
4) Gaming router

ICS did not work for me, and many people have reported the same particularly in vista. Network bridge connection seems to function for most people. It involves bridging your pc/laptop's wireless connection with its LAN connection. You then connect an ethernet cable from your laptop/pc's LAN port to your xbox 360's LAN port.

Modified router as an option is technically more difficult to achieve. This involves turning a router into a wireless receiver so it communicate with your router that is connected to the internet. This is possible by using 3rd party software to flash the existing router firmware : DD-WRT. Not all routers are compatible.

Gaming routers are almost as expensive as the official adapter and can be hard to setup. There are wireless N gaming routers that offer much better performance than the original adapter.

When using wireless option to connect to live you may notice your NAT is moderate (or worse! :S) This can be remedied by either turning on UPnP on your router, DMZ or portforwarding.

This site has some pretty solid information on the topic as well as step by step guides:

How to connect wirelessly to xbox live

I have another problem... I can't bridge the two connections, I get a warning that says that I need at least two high speed connections that are not shared, but I want to bridge my wireless and my LAN connection...
could somebody help me ?

Your awesome MUM!!!!!

o.k. mom, going to try it. I am a grandma/ mom adopted and raing our first born grandson and trying to get this xbox going. Wish me luck. Will let you know if it works.

O.K. Mom, didn't work for me and I tried it exactly as you said. Even went to the cat 5 crossover cable and tried to bridge it. No matter what I did it came up saying I had an ip conflict. Any help from anyone would be so nice . Step by step for this old brain. lol
Thanks in advance.

Did you get it yet Sandrabrooks?

Restart both X-box and the PC after you applied changes. I have Vista and I didn`t need to bridge the connection. I just used a crossover cable just as the MUM with four kids said.

Restart both X-box and the PC after you applied changes. I have Vista and I didn`t need to bridge the connection. I just used a crossover cable just as the MUM with four kids said.

Nope, didn't try that one but will - duh - shouldv'e known that one.
Thank you for the reply, will let you know if I get it but prob. not till tomarrow. He's on line right now and close to bed time. lol.
Thanks again.

? what is your home network is it a bt hub or something else

I have a Comtrend ADSL 2 + router with a linksys G wireless router. The only thing plugged into thye comtrend is the internet itself and the router.
Sandra.

Can i change my password on my Xbox from a computer and not the console. Iam not at home at the moment and i dont want my brothers to play on it as my games arent suitable for them as they are younger than 12 and my games are 18+.

I have EXTREMELY crappy internet quality on Netflix on Xbox Live, but ONLY Netflix. Everything else that uses Xbox Live is fine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.