Hello,
I work for a local Non-profit and we are looking into designing a MY Space page for our company. However, the Powers that be have set up DNS to redirect Myspace.com requests to our web site, to keep employees from accessing it during work. Our IT manager told me that it is possible to modify something on my local PC to be able to access myspace. However, he won't tell me how to do it, (he's funny like that)

Can anyone give me a hand on setting this up?

I am running XP Pro and I normally use Firefox as my browser, but can definitely use Internet Explorer.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

While we don't recommend breaking your workplace rules, since it could get you fired, it is rather easy to bypass DNS. Each system has a 'hosts' file located in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder, you would place an entry like this into that file:
216.178.38.131 www.myspace.com myspace.com

This will allow your system to resolve the host without using DNS.

Again, it is strongly recommended that you think before you act, as most for most companies changing these files is a fireable offense.

commented: thanks +19

Thanks for the info.

I have full permission to do this. It's just that our IT guy wants me to try and figure it out for myself.

I will give it a try

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.