Hello I need help:

I have a two pc's, the main one has XP installed and is connected to AT&T dial-up and I would like to setup the other one with a wireless network (But don't want to run more phone wires through my walls).

My question is this:

1. Is it possible to connect a wireless system to my current AT&T dial-up connection?
2. If so - is there a wireless network kit that you could recommended that I can purchase that will work with the current connection and has all the parts include that are required to make my network work?

Thank you
Manuel

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Manuel, in windows xp you can simply turn internet connection sharing on from your main computer and that will then allow any other computers on your network to access that connection.

Here's some definitions I've managed to assume:
Switch - box that will take many inputs for wired networks
Router - a switch with a built in firewall. sometimes also includes a wireless access point.
Wireless Access Point - you can think of this as the antenna that would connect to your main computer.

The simplest thing for you to do is to connect a wireless access point to your main computer and then a reciever on your second computer (possibly use USB on this).

There's no reason to use 802.11a or 802.11g since even broadband connections are slower than those transfer rates. Stick with 802.11b (wi-fi) for the price and because you really don't need anything else.

Although my information not be extremely accurate, it's what I've picked up here and there. I hope this is of use to you.

I currently own a Netgear Wireless Router that I purchased from Amazon for $40. I have my desktop wired to it and my laptop has a PCMCIA wireless receiver on it. The broadband connection plugs right into the router.

Thanks for the info = So if I get the 802.11b (wi-fi) of which I understand will work with my system, will than I should be good to go?!!

I'll give it a go and let you know how I do (It might take a little while to do got to get all the part I need)

I'll let you know when am up and running.

Talk to you than.
Thanks

Hello mquint and evilmonkey29,

I also want to do the same thing like mquint.

I want to use my computer to dial-up for the internet. connect to an access point. on the other laptop, access to the internet.

The problem is, i can't find an access point that allow phone line connection. Can you give me a suggestion. In addition, how do i configure my computer to allow sharing the internet.

thanks

From my understanding, if you only have two computers, you don't need a wireless access point and all that. You can just use a wireless nic in both computers and they'll see each other. Once you add a third computer to the setup, or you connect that wireless network to a regular cabled network, then you start needing to introduce all the other hardware.

This is the question I have about dial up wireless. Let's say you only have one comp or a laptop. Is it possible to have your router/WAP and somehow connect with your laptop to your dialup(phoneline) and connect? Is this possible in any way?
-X

simply share your dial-up connection and then let your second pc use that connection for internet access . I would recomend orinoco kits for wireless home networks . And maybe AP500 access point . If you need
further assistance on this just contact www.bitsel.com for further
assistance

I want to do almost exactly as mquint above, however I have a single notebook with 802.11B and i want to use my 56k dial-up connection wirelessly. I have no other PCs I want to network, just want to be able to wander around my house accessing the Internet through my dial-up connection wirelessly. Can I just buy some sort of external 56k modem and hook a wireless access point into it, or is there more to this? I use WinXP. Thanks

I want to do almost exactly as mquint above, however I have a single notebook with 802.11B and i want to use my 56k dial-up connection wirelessly. I have no other PCs I want to network, just want to be able to wander around my house accessing the Internet through my dial-up connection wirelessly. Can I just buy some sort of external 56k modem and hook a wireless access point into it, or is there more to this? I use WinXP. Thanks

All you need to do is get a wireless router that has a COM port that connects directly to a dial-up modem, and in the wireless configuration you will need to setup the dial-up connection (numer, username, password) and it will communicate directly to the modem and make it connect to the internet. Then once your laptop's wireless connection to the router is working, you will have internet access. I am currently using this exact setup until I get broadband again with a US Robotics USR8011 Wireless Router.

ok. i've done everything that has been said "share internet connection" and so on. but my wireless router won't talk to my computer because it is looking for the internet connection. i have a internal dial-up modem, will i need to buy a external modem? the router works pefectly but since i can't access it i can't be the admin :-|. so its managing nothin at the moment. is there anyway around this?

You need to connect via the hardwired lan port at least to configure a wireless router. If you don't plug anything into the WAN port and disable dhcp on the router, then the router will simply act as a wireless bridge between all the wireless and wired connections and you can set up Internet connection sharing as normal. You MUST disable dhcp on the router for this to work.

Now that i've disabled DHCP, it says "limited or no connectivity". what do i do now? On another note, when i go to setup a internet connection share it basically says that "that ip adress is being used by another device" (192.168.0.1) is there a way to tell windows to use another ip?

Sorry, I should have told you that you need to set your pc to a fixed IP address or you won't get back in after disabling dhcp. This is a temporary step, because the pc that does the Internet connection sharing will handle, and requires to handle dhcp for all of it's clients. So, set whatever pc you want to use to setup your router, temporarily with a fixed IP in the range the router uses. You are going to need to change the LAN IP address of the router too if it is conflicting with your windows network when you do this,set it completely out of the range that windows would normally assign like say (192.168.0.254). The lan ip of the router is irrelevant and not used when you're using the router only as a bridge, but it still exists and can't conflict with anything else. Just remember what you set it to so you can get back into the router when you need to.

If your router is using (192.168.0.1) for it's IP then set your config pc's IP to something like (192.168.0.25) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 that should get you into the router. Then configure your router's LAN address as I said above.

To set your PC's IP address just right click on your PC's "Local Area Connection" then "Properties" then "tcpip" then properties. Select the radio button for "Use the Following Ip Address" then type in your ip address and (255.255.255.0) for the mask. That's all you need to connect to the router. After you're done setting up the router, reset these properties to automatic.

So the basic setup, when your done is, your Internet Sharing pc will hand out IP addresses I believe in the range of 10.0.0.0 IIRC to any PC's requesting dhcp that are connected to the switch. Then it will share its connection with those PCs. The router is completely out of it. Hope this makes sense.

The limited or no connectivity doesn't have anything to do with your IP settings. Something is screwy with the radio transmission.

ok. i've got all that done. but i still am having trouble connecting through the internet using the internet gateway connection on the client computer. It (the internet gateway) will send bytes no problem. however it will not recieve them :?:. i'm probably missing a step that i probably have to do i just don't know what it is...

Thanks again

Can you give me a listing of the exact IP settings you have for each device, both machines, and the router? Perhaps I can see something in it. Be very specific. Also, how are you telling that it can send bytes and not receive? On which interface?

ok basically i set the ip adresses to what you said. However i think i may have lost ya somewhere along the way...

"this,set it completely out of the range that windows would normally assign like say (192.168.0.254). The lan ip of the router is irrelevant and not used when you're using the router only as a bridge, but it still exists and can't conflict with anything else. Just remember what you set it to so you can get back into the router when you need to.

If your router is using (192.168.0.1) for it's IP then set your config pc's IP to something like (192.168.0.25) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 that should get you into the router. Then configure your router's LAN address as I said above.

To set your PC's IP address just right click on your PC's "Local Area Connection" then "Properties" then "tcpip" then properties. Select the radio button for "Use the Following Ip Address" then type in your ip address and (255.255.255.0) for the mask. That's all you need to connect to the router. After you're done setting up the router, reset these properties to automatic."

so my routers ip is now 192.168.0.254
my host computer is 192.168.0.25 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
i think i lost ya when you said "reset these properties to automatic" the routers or the computers :?:

oh yeah. When i configured ICS an icon automatically appeared on the client computer that was called "internet connection gateway" it showed bytes sent/recieved on the LAN plus the bytes sent/recieved for the internet on the client computer. So the computers were "talking" about the lan, but not the internet.

Sorry it took me a while to get back here to answer you. What operating systems are on which machines? I'll give you a basic setup that works and you'll need to remove ICS from anywhere you've installed it just to make sure it's cleaned out of there. When you've done that, you don't need to change anything else on the router, so don't worry about it. The wireless adaptor on your client PC should be set to get it's IP address settings automatically through DHCP. Your LAN adaptor on your host machine should be set to get it's IP address settings automatically. Make sure the firewall is NOT enabled on either of these adaptors if your using XP or any other firewall software. Now enable Internet connection sharing on your dialup connection on your host PC. When you set it, you'll need to select your LAN adaptor on that machine for the Private LAN. This will automatically set it's IP address and cause ICS to start handing out IP addresses to the other machine. An important thing to remember with ICS is that you cannot make any changes to the network settings after ICS is enabled, it wants total control. It uses 192.168.0.1 by default as the IP address on the host machine's private LAN adaptor. After you make these changes reboot both machines and try it. When you get your client machine up and running after the change, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all you should get an IP address in the 192.168.0.nnn range if ICS and dhcp is working ok.

Great! thnx i got it to work finally! the only problem now is that my client computers can get files off of the host computer. but the host computer cannot get files off the client computer, and the client computers cannot get files off of eachother. :?: :?:

Thanks again

Great! Glad you got there.

Make sure you have enabled sharing on those computers and actually shared files, and in a peer network each machine should have a user with the same password as you will logon to the other machines with to access it. If you're still having trouble, please start a new thread with that as the topic.

ok. i've got all that done. but i still am having trouble connecting through the internet using the internet gateway connection on the client computer. It (the internet gateway) will send bytes no problem. however it will not recieve them :?:. i'm probably missing a step that i probably have to do i just don't know what it is...

Thanks again

Make sure the MAC adress filtering is disabled on the router (meaning Media Access Control) If this function is enabled it will prevent access to the internet. That's what it's there for. When a network system has many clients (computers) connected you can control who is allowed internet use and who is not.

Guys

I have found that setting the ip address of the computer with the dial up to the same IP as the Wireless Router solves the problem of the other computers in the wireless network not being able to connect to the internet.

For this to be true, you have something else misconfigured. In this type of setup, the router is not routing it's acting only as a wireless bridge so it's IP address is meaningless. The only necessity is that it's IP address not conflict with any PC's addresses on the network.

For this to be true, you have something else misconfigured. In this type of setup, the router is not routing it's acting only as a wireless bridge so it's IP address is meaningless. The only necessity is that it's IP address not conflict with any PC's addresses on the network.

It can depend, though. This may be the case if you did not disable the DHCP server on the router. The router would still be giving out the Gateway address as being 192.168.0.1, which is now the host computer doing the connection sharing. It's almost as if you were running a network with a DHCP server that ran distinct from the router. The DHCP server is giving the clients the IP, gateway, and DNS information, which by coincidence is the correct information.

Hehehe, Hi Alc. That's kind of what I meant by misconfigured. Since the setup used ICS, ICS needs to be the only dhcp server on the block. The router should be acting only as a switch/bridge. Sometimes I don't get into all the little details because frankly I just hate typing. :) But I didn't want to let what was said go because some people take everything written as fact.

It can depend, though. This may be the case if you did not disable the DHCP server on the router. The router would still be giving out the Gateway address as being 192.168.0.1, which is now the host computer doing the connection sharing. It's almost as if you were running a network with a DHCP server that ran distinct from the router. The DHCP server is giving the clients the IP, gateway, and DNS information, which by coincidence is the correct information.

That's exactly whats happening it seems like. The host computer is connected to the router via lan and uses dial up to connect. I have tried every configuration (with the exception of disabling dhcp on the router) and this is the only one that seems to work.

Check out wiflyer.com, I used it as a wirless dial-up. This little device is very portable and is designed for the traveler. I use it with my PocketPC via wirless. It is easy to use and set up.

hi, i also have dial up, but i would like to get wireless internet to my ipod touch. do u no if that is possible and if so what would i need. i think all i need is a wireless router but im not sure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.