I own a Sony Vaio VGN-N150G, and I have had this problem for about a week now. I can use Mozilla Firefox without a problem, but I cannot use any messaging services such as AIM. When I try configuring, it says it was unable to connect. When I try using Windows Live Messenger, it says that there is something wrong with my default gateway. In other words, I think it's telling me that it can't detect my internect connection. I can surf the web no problem on Mozilla Firefox...but for some reason any of those other programs have a difficulty. Not only messaging programs but Norton 360 freezes up when I attempt to clean up my computer using the internet connection. It's really bizarre, and it happens anywhere I am on campus (I'm a college student) and it happens when I'm at home, too. Therefore, no matter which wireless internet I am connected to, I can't use any programs that deal with the internet. I've tried what seems like everything, and I can't figure it out.

I have been searching the web for an answer, and I saw something about using IPCONFIG/ALL in the Run..program thing. So, I'm going to copy and paste my results to hopefully make this easier, because I assume you're going to ask me for that.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nicole Dix>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : VALUED-11599CE5
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : nmu.edu

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Eth
ernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-A9-4C-D2-E2

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : nmu.edu
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-75-F2-31
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.75.35.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 207.75.35.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 198.110.199.45
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 198.110.200.10
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 198.110.199.17
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:23:35 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:33:35 PM

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks so much.

Hi ladyjane,

This is Mike from the Norton authorized Support team responding to your post. I can assist you with the Norton 360 issue you are experiencing.

First, can you please let me know what version of Norton 360 you are using?

Regardless of the version, you mention that Norton 360 "freezes" when you try to scan. This could indicate that your system has an infection.

Please open Norton 360 and click on "Run LiveUpdate." This will ensure that you have the latest definition and program file updates applied to your installation of Norton 360. After you have run LiveUpdate and it notifies you that the updates have been applied, please restart your computer in Windows Safe Mode and then run a Full System Scan.

Please try this process and let me know if you are notified of any infections, etc.

Thank you,
Mike

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.