ok i know most people either buy a domain name and then hosting or buy them both from the same place. But where do the ppl who you buy hosting from get the space to sell. And if they have to buy it from somewhere then wher do those ppl get it. It seems like web space is just there.

If i was running something like windows 2003 server enteprise edition then could i have web space to sell. Or could i just make my own web site for free. Or is that Os just optimized for serving files over one network.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Basically, web hosts (or at least the good ones or ones that count) have their servers located in a datacenter, which is basically a network of all of their many computers. Their network is then connected to multiple high speed backbone lines to the Internet.

For example, say you have a high speed Internet provider such as DSL or a cable modem. You would be able to run a website off of that. However, it would be pretty unreliable and only be able to handle a few people visiting the site at once.

Webhosting providers are connected to the Internet by multiple T3 lines (darn fast) which they then split up between all of their clients. These datacenters pay thousands and thousands of dollars per month to lease these high-bandwidth backbone lines to the Internet. In other words, they pay lots of money to get their fast connections from companies who have huge networks that span across the United States and the world. (You can think of it as a company like Verizon Wireless who has access points across America.)

Then you get to many of the smaller webhosting providers, who have just a few servers in another company's datacenter.

I know many smallweb companies who resell web space that another company DEDICATED to web hosting provides. I know of an affordable company who I use: www.livin4.com

You can start up an account and sell web space with the above and many others. With a reseller account you have access to a control panel which lets you add new domain names, allocate space and bandwidth etc. Pretty cool set up considering the costs (cheap)

About hosting your own sites... Don't. I would have fun doing it for testing/learning, staging web sites before going to another "live" server etc

Web hosts dedicate their time to security patches and other related issues. Let the experts do what they do best...

hope this helps.

If i was running something like windows 2003 server enteprise edition then could i have web space to sell. Or could i just make my own web site for free. Or is that Os just optimized for serving files over one network.

Well, you could do this. But, if you didn't have a large, fast internet connection, your host would not be any good. There are configuration options in Windows 2003 Server Enterprise edition (I run it on 2 boxes myself) that do allow you to serve multiple websites from one machine.

i only need to serve one but i was just curious how this random web space that ppl sell appears. but can you host a site for free on windows 2003 sever

Nothing's free. You have to pay for the bandwidth at some point. First of all, Windows 2003 Server is not free. Web server edition is a bit over $400 and full version is around $700.

Secondly, you are paying for bandwidth. Since you are talking about "you can host it for free", I will assume you are implying hosting on your home internet connection (Cable or DSL, perhaps). If you read the TOS of your connection agreement, you will probably find that it explicitly states that you are forbidden from hosting HTTP or FTP on your connection.

You can get your own webspace for very little - some budget hosting companies offer space for $5 a month or so. Buzrtum2 is right - let the experts handle the hardware, network, and security. :)

And of course the cost of electricity, the computer(s) you host on (and money set aside to replace/repair them), backup tapes/CDs/DVDs, etc. etc.

let me tell you my web hosting dirty little secret, first vist my web hosting site.

web hosting Jet9.com

It looks like a full blown hosting company right? Well I am a reseller. I rent servers and space from some company and they have automated programs that do everything for me. Thats right, invoices, credit cards, everything automatic. I currently make $770. a month in profit after I pay my $130. server costs. Mine is a custom plan cause I have so many accounts. But you can start on their $25.00 a month plan. Then you get so much space, accounts etc and then you set your own plans and prices and resell them. If you look at my plans in detail, you will see I am very generous.

Anyways, the software to manage it even has really easy programs built into to it for your clients. For instance a visual SiteBuilder program, OSCommerce (shooping cart), PHPBB (forums) and more.

Believe me, you will be sending me checks you will be so happy I told you about it.

Here is the place I use Reseller-Center.com

ssshh do not tell anybody.

Look around for "reseller" accounts with web hosting compaines, that's where most people get started, then you will need to move up to a "dedicated" server.

Look around for "reseller" accounts with web hosting compaines, that's where most people get started, then you will need to move up to a "dedicated" server.

forget a dedicated server, to much trouble, The plan I mentioned is better than a dedicated server. Your getting 10 servers or more with my method.

my webhost
remnetworks.com is much cheaper than your igotdreams

you missed the point, I was giving advice on how to be a reseller not pushing my hosting plans. Also, if you cannot put up a link that works, your losing credibilty.

you changed the link in your quote. yes my link didnt work either and the page that is just remnetworks.com has a crap design thats why my link was going to take you to the better designed page remnetworks.com/demo.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.