HI,

I wrote a program to send UDP broadcasts to all computers on a local network. All machines are running fedora (probably 4). I cannot get a true UDP broadcast to work. It sends correctly but is never received. After discussion both on this site and with others in my lab, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is not with the code, but with the network settings/firewall. Could anybody with any experience with UDP broadcasts please help me figure out what I need to change to allow UDP broadcasts? If it helps, every broadcast will be on a predefined port, if there is any way that I can set it to allow broiadcasts to this one port...? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I do not have a strong background in networking.

Thanks

Depends on what kind of firewall you are talking about, also what kind of routers/switches. Could be using ACL's as well as a firewall.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.