Is 802.11 an open or proprietary technology.
And also i'm doing a assignment on 802.11.If you know about following datails please let me know.thank you very much.

*explain what the technology is.

*explain how it works

*explain who will benefit from its use and why? Look at this from the commercial perspective and the consumer perspective.

*what alternatives are there? How do they compare?

*are there government policy issues related to the use of this technology?

• is it an open or proprietary technology?

:)

thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is 802.11 an open or proprietary technology.
And also i'm doing a assignment on 802.11.If you know about following datails please let me know.thank you very much.

*explain what the technology is.

*explain how it works

*explain who will benefit from its use and why? Look at this from the commercial perspective and the consumer perspective.

*what alternatives are there? How do they compare?

*are there government policy issues related to the use of this technology?

• is it an open or proprietary technology?

:)

thank you.

hi matey,

The technology is in fact a standard (a very old one), it allows data to be sent around networks or hotspots wirelessly using wireless-lan, it's used by laptops, desktops, SAN's, routers, print servers, printers, scanners, cameras and even some radios.

802.11 actually refers to the original standard, since then tey've released 802.11g & 802.11a as well as pre-n, 802.11g basically brought faster data speeds but suffered alot of interferrance, however 802.11a suffers very little.

they are usually used between 2.4 - 2.5 GHZ radio spectrum.

the one you refer to, 802.11 had a data rate of 2mb/s, 802.11a had 11mb/s, 802.11a had 54mb/s as well as 802.11g. 802.11n however has a data rate or around 248MB/s. the original legacy version was released in 1997.

the standard is owned by the WI-FI alliance but governed by the FCC.

hope this helps,

Dazza :cool:

sorry, an alternitive would be D2D,
can acheive up to 300M outdoors but only at 11MB/s and not very good indoors.

as for comercial perpestive, 802.11 is at the heart of most office WLAN's. and the majority of MESH networks, MIMO would also be something to look at, it's a technology added to 802.11 (bit like a superchager).

Dazza :cool:

oh friend thenk you very much.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.