I have a PC with Windows XP Home, using a U.S. robotics and shared internet (DSL).

I also have a laptop running Windows 2000 with a Belkin card. I have set it all up to connect and according to the icon in the task tray I am connected. All I want is to get the internet for my laptop. Anybody feeling kind :)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Well...it's rather easy actually.

2 NIC's in the HOST (XP) machine
1 NIC in the CLIENT (2000) machine

Connect the internet to 1 NIC in the XP machine. On the 2nd NIC in the XP machine, manually assign (by opening up your network, highlighting TCP/IP, and clicking properties) an IP to it. I'd give it 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0

Connect a crossover cable or LAN cable depending on your setup to the #2NIC on XP. Connect that cable to the NIC in 2000. Now, open up the network properties for 2000. Where it says auto or manual...assign it manually. Enter the gateway as the 192.168.0.1 you assigned to XP NIC #2. You'll have to find out your ISP's DNS servers (usually with a call to them or a visit to their website) and plug those in manually.

You're set. Questions?

OR - save yourself the hassle and get yourself a cheapo router to do it all for you and that you can simply unplug when it gives problems.

Member Avatar for TKSS

OR - save yourself the hassle and get yourself a cheapo router to do it all for you and that you can simply unplug when it gives problems.

That's what I did...but I built my own Linux router using spare parts. But then again, that's not what he's doing :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.