I got a laptop with vista and connected to the wireless router here with no problems. Everything went along smoothly for a couple days then it decided to quit working. My wireless connection is still perfect, I can ping and browse anything by IP only. It stopped resolving domain names and typing google.com gets nowhere, firefox gives me the standard 'Server not found, Firefox can't find the server at www.google.com' message. nslookup fails as well. I can ping my router, and another computer I have connected to the router via ethernet works just fine. I nslookup'd google.com on it and pinged the IP and loaded the google page perfectly with the IP address, but I can't look up and IP addresses on the laptop.

Internet Connection Sharing is disabled on each computer, and when I ping google.com from the router itself it resolves and gets replies.

Any ideas? I'm getting really angry about this, I've spent all day trying to figure out what's wrong. Google has failed me and I don't see any reason why I can't resolve domains. Until I get this fixed, my laptop is crippled.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You want to access internet without any problem.

Are you using any Local DNS Server?

If you are then try to ping the IP address of that Local DNS Server and if your ISP Service has provided the DNS Server than ping its IP address and see what reply you get.

Are you able to access websites from there website address on your other computer connected to the same network?

Problem solved itself, I'll never know why it did this though. :/ Oh well. It lasted for several days.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.