This may be a wierd question, but I am stuck. i have a home web server that I have been using dyndns a dynamic dns service to get a web address. So the web address is http://myexample.dyndns.com. Now I finally decided to buy a real web domain name, and don't know how to point it, or assign it to my home web server.
Right now I am forwarding requests from myrealwebaddress.com to myexample.dyndns.com, but I don't really like it like that.
Any idea on how I can assign my real domain to my dyndns domain?
I emailed the tech support of the company I registered the web domain from, and they said I had to "to edit the DNS settings of the domain name and point it to your own server." I don't really understand that. I have the dns addresses of my ISP, but don't get how that will work. Don't I need to associate my IP address with the new web domain? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by sathai

This may be a wierd question, but I am stuck. i have a home web server that I have been using dyndns a dynamic dns service to get a web address. So the web address is http://myexample.dyndns.com. Now I finally decided to buy a real web domain name, and don't know how to point it, or assign it to my home web server.
Right now I am forwarding requests from myrealwebaddress.com to myexample.dyndns.com, but I don't really like it like that.
Any idea on how I can assign my real domain to my dyndns domain?
I emailed the tech support of the company I registered the web domain from, and they said I had to "to edit the DNS settings of the domain name and point it to your own server." I don't really understand that. I have the dns addresses of my ISP, but don't get how that will work. Don't I need to associate my IP address with the new web domain? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the best solution is to point your domain(set his nameservers on you registar) to an internet server and then just set in that server a CNAME record to your dyndns address like this:

www IN CNAME myexample.dyndns.com

Then, all requests to your www.domain.com will be forwarded to myexampledyndns.com.
If you dont have a friend or somebody that has a server account, there are some sites providing this services for free, just use google and look for "free dns".

If you have a static ip address at home, you don't need this. You can run your dns server and point you domain directly to your home.

Regards,

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.