i am working in small company.in one of our department we r facing a great difficulty.At that department all P.C r connected to net through switch .we have cisco switch i do not know his number .problem is that all employe there r facing a difficulty in accessing the internet.we have to repair internet connection again and again for accessing the net .we r not able to accseesing the internet continously there.for a while it work and after some time it stop .then we have to repair the connection and it work.and after some time it stop again, and again we have to repair the connection.
some one plz give solution of it as it is very important

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi I do not know your level of experience with networking so if you do not understand what I am asking please tell me.

does the switch connect to

the wall?
a modem?
a router?
a PC?

are you using a dhcp server in your network or do they have static IP? I think you might be trying to do both and that is causing problems

how many computers in your network,

are they all connected to the one switch?

Do they all drop out at the same time?

if you time each drop out, is it the same length eg does each pc drop out every 10 minutes, or every hour?

what operating systems are you running on your computers?

are they all doing it?

Well you have tried your own best 4 ur company. The only advice i can give is that run "etwork wizard" on each system(u can get that at control panel) and follow the message as your company configure thier network.

Well you have tried your own best 4 ur company. The only advice i can give is that run "etwork wizard" on each system(u can get that at control panel) and follow the message as your company configure thier network.

Hey. thanks for giving him the tip, but It is a little bit more involved than just running the wizard. That is why I asked him so much info. or did you miss my post, maybe?

That takes to much time, and the OS should automatically do it, itself.

Cohen

That takes to much time, and the OS should automatically do it, itself.

Cohen

Cohen;

I recognise that you are good with the windows OS - I have seen some of your answers in the other sections of this forum. they are well though out, well explained, and the answers are logical and they work. I know, because you helped me out at one stage earlier.

I am not sure on your exact level of understanding with networking. So I tread cautiously here too. I by no means wish to turn this into a flame war. For the benefit of others who have this issue in the future, who may be reading this:

The issue is not going to be resolved by running the NSW because they are all connecting to the internet. it is assigning the IP addresses correctly, which NSW is designed to do. (or they wouldn't be getting online). The issue appears to run deeper than that, as they are being periodically kicked off the internet. I need to know whether they are losing just the internet, or the whole network. The problem appears to be a conflict between the switch, gateway, and the client PC's - probably a DCHP conflict or Lease Pooling issue. I need some more information from this guy so that I can troubleshoot it accurately

To Summarise:
NSW is probably already ok. they are connected.
probably the switch is set up to renew thier addresses every so-often, therby kicking them off when the lease runs out and they have to renew the address.

They are welcome to run NSW. in this case all PC's need to be configured as connecting through a residential gateway.

I would access the switch settings and check the DCHP Lease Time .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.