Good Morning,

I am looking for some advice on establishing a network for my office. It is currently not working. 5 computers, one route, one hub/switch, simply need to deliver Internet connectivity to each wired computer.

Is there a piece of downloadable software which can ping automatically the cat 5 to ensure it is working?

I know the solution is easy, hence my frustration...

Dave Salisbury
Call Center Ops Mgr/Network Admin

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

This seems to far complicated to resolve on a forum, Can you ping the router, does the router have the proper isp settings? Can you ping an internet ip address? Is there a problem with your isp?

This seems to far complicated to resolve on a forum, Can you ping the router, does the router have the proper isp settings? Can you ping an internet ip address? Is there a problem with your isp?

It might be, but I have found that discussing something like this helps figure out solutions.

I have checked all the cat 5 cables from the desktops to the switch. Cables are good. The router loads on one computer but this is a side issue. Main problem is that the router is not loading DHCP or Static IP to finish connecting the Internet.

ISP declares everything is good through to the switch. Have older Cisco Switch dispersing 2-T1 lines into the building. Problem seems to be here as the port is intermittently working. Tried changing ports to no avail.:confused:

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Dave Salisbury

what is supplying an ip address to the work stations the router? do the workstations get an ip address? can you ping the router?

what is supplying an ip address to the work stations the router? do the workstations get an ip address? can you ping the router?

Yes, I can ping the router. Yes, they should get an IP address. Yes, it is set up for the router to supply the IP address for Internet Connectivity. The rest of the office is able to perform these functions without problems.

Dave Salisbury

what is the ip address dns and gateway of a workstation that won't go on the internet

Thank you to those who were attempting to assist. Here is what solved the issue, apparently I had one bad cat 5 cable, was trying to connect a cat 5 over 200 feet from the source, and the software system in Windows XP needed to be set to automatically retrieve IP address.

Spent all morning figuring this out.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Dave Salisbury

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.