hey im trying to connect to the internet with my netgear wgr614 router. i was connected all of this week and on Friday it stopped connecting me. all the lights on the modem but the pc activity are lit and the internet button on the router isnt lit. i thought it was the router bc my connection was fine before so i went to time warner cable and exchanged it for another one. i hooked it up the same way as before. pc to port 1 and modem to the internet port. and i still couldn't connect. i brought that back and got another one of the same one. all 3 routers were brand new. the 1st one i have had since January and it worked fine. no settings have been changed. the only way i can connect to the internet is eithernet directly from my pc to the modem
can some one help me out. i already tried unplugging both and all that and re trying. i restarted the 2nd router twice the guy at netgear said it was a faulty router but i find that hard to believe since these are brand new and sealed

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I feel your pain. (And if you have read through the forums looking for help with router / network issues you know you are not alone)

You might need to 'clone' your router. (And I emphasis 'might')

Search for 'Cloning and router', 'Cloning and MAC Address', or perhaps 'Cloning your router'. Remember that all your ISP has to do is provide you with one valid network connection. If you can plug your PC into the Cable/DSL Modem and connect to the Internet you are good to go. Periodically your ISP will need to make changes to the network that will cause you to re-clone your router before it will work...so you should know how to do this anyway.

Sadly I do not have the copy I use to have...it was a multiple step (12+ steps) process, involving powering off the router/firewall and the PC at different times, but worked flawlessly - I simply followed the steps verbatum.

If after connecting your PC directly to the Cable Modem you cannot connect to the internet, you MUST and SHOULD encourage your ISP to work with you to provide you with internet access. They should not have a problem with this, you are paying for that one connection after all.

Note: I recommend that you ask for reimbursement for each and every day that you cannot access the internet...if you have attempted with more than one cable modem (three so far if I read your post correctly) and they have not helped you fix this, well make them pay. But first make sure you have that one connection. Shame we have to do this, but it seems the Customer No Service BS will not stop unless it hits them in their bottom line.

Especially if you are paying 'extra' for an additional Router...in addition to the Cable Modem from your provider. (Your ISP provides you with a 'modem' to connect to the internet, which gives you one and only one connection. If Router is theirs, i.e. you are paying extra each month for it, they SHOULD help you get it running; if however the router is yours, i.e. you bought it, do NOT expect them to help you at all.

Most likely you put down $40 - $70 your self and bought a Router/Firewall, in that case the Cable Co/ DSL Co is under no obligation to help you. If you do seek their help they will charge you for each additional PC you connect after charging you for a person to come to your house. And they don't care if you lost a day of work at home waiting for them to get there either....just something so wrong with the attitude of most companies today. They expect us to pay for service and than wonder why we get upset when they don't provide the service we are already paying for! Duh.

Just be patient, search the web and you will find your answers...eventually.

If 'cloning' is your issue, you are basically cloning your router to be the same MAC address as that of your PC(only 1 PC), that way it 'appears' there is only one computer connected to the internet, even if there are 20 or more. Most people only have 2 or 3 PCs connected anyway and don't use a fraction of the bandwidth they are already paying for each month, so this really should not be an issue at all, ever.

If you ask me, if they want to charge 'premium' rates, than they should reimburse you for what you DO NOT use. Which for most of us, is most of what we pay for. (In Japan, NTT is providing 60 Mbps for around $40 - $50 per month...think about it! How much are you paying for the 1.5 - 3 Mbps bandwidth that is available to you, much of which you do not use each month anyway; Is anyone in the USA is getting more than 10 Mbps, please share the name of your provider with the rest of us. If so I want to know who your provider is and see if they are near me. So please do tell!)

Good luck and if I come across that URL for 'cloning' routers again I will post it here for you!

Good luck and if I come across that URL for 'cloning' routers again I will post it here for you!

I searched here on Daniweb for 'cloning' and brought up an old post...the URL is in there. Granted I was using a LinkSys Router and the directions were for a LinkSys Router, but that should not matter...the steps should be the same for you. Again, this assuming that you need to 'Clone' to fix your problem. First you must verify that you have 1 valid connection to the internet via your provider's modem.

Here is the link:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread52564.html

Hope this helps you.

im not paying anything more for a router i went there one day because i need the router to access online for playstation 3. i got it directly from time warner. and they didn't charge me anything.
i have no clue how to do any of the cloning stuff. nor understand anything about it.
im calling a computer guy tomorrow who has fixed my pc before plenty of times. but i dont understand how it could just stop working as no settings were changed.

im not paying anything more for a router i went there one day because i need the router to access online for playstation 3. i got it directly from time warner. and they didn't charge me anything.

Sounds like you have made your decision...good luck. Personally I am very surprised that Time Warner is not charging you more each month for the router. I understand that they include the Cable modem with your monthly, but to include a router in addition to the cable modem is unusual. Perhaps they are 'including' it in with your monthly so you don't 'see' it each month. (The only way you can be sure of this, is to know exactly how much in your area their service costs with just a cable modem, and then inquire as to how much more it might cost for additional services.)

WARNING TRUE rant: I know first hand that their 'back-end pricing system' is NOT EQUIVALENT to their front end marketing info on their public facing website. I had to send back additional hardware and service that I requested and was willing to pay $x dollars more a month for, but not $x+4.00 more than they told me over the phone. I don't allow that type of 'bait n switch' and found the whole scenario extremely offensive. Not only did I tell the installer to take the equipment back with him, but I had to ask them to change my my monthly back to the original amount sans the additional service I was requesting prior to the service visit. They tried to increase my monthly by the $4.00 even though I sent the hardware back to them, thus, there was no change in the service once I refused the additional equipment. Just to keep everything on the up and up, here is the scenario that I experienced first hand: I was simply trying to add another DVD box in my house for a roommate, but they did not disclose all the fees and expected me to accept a higher fee with their representative/cable guy in my house than what they quoted me. Well, they were wrong and I sent everything back. Had they not put my monthly back to what it was prior to the proposed change, I would definitely have churned and left them. Companies can't take advantage of you unless you let them. Their tactics were wrong and pathetic. When I questioned the TWC representative (day of the service visit) over the phone as to why their public-facing website quoted different rates then their back-end database system, he told me it just did, always had and he did not know why. Fortunately I had a firm quote prior to the additional service visit, questioning another representative (prior to the service visit) before I would allow them to set the service call and grilled them as to what my additional monthly would be exactly...went back and forth with them no less than 3 times prior to setting the service call. So when the rep came to my house with paperwork that showed a higher monthly, I had to call the company and 'refuse' the additional equipment before he could take it back, before he left my home. At that time with the rep in my home, I asked the TWC rep over the phone if the monthly would change as I was refusing the addition due to the higher monthly fee (higher than what was previously quoted). She assured me that the monthly would not change, since I refused the equipment. Well it did change and to TWC's credit they changed the monthly back to the original monthly amount. But I don't think I should have had to call to make this happen, after all it was their mistake.

At least in this case TWC did the correct thing and fixed the problem. All the above is true and I would swear to it in a court of law to this...END true RANT.

Back to your issue, tonyhawk:

The Cable modem cannot 'route' and only has one internet port. A Router/Firewall (I recommend the hardware firewalls over software firewalls, with the exception of a 'unix' or 'linux' firewall as they give you many more options. Wish I could recommend the XP Firewall but in my experience they create more problems than they are worth, especially when configuring a hardware Router / Firewall on your network. Fortunately for you and me here on Daniweb there are allot of knowledgeable people on Microsoft products, including their software firewall. Just not my preference.)

i have no clue how to do any of the cloning stuff. nor understand anything about it. im calling a computer guy tomorrow who has fixed my pc before plenty of times. but i dont understand how it could just stop working as no settings were changed.

I went to the other post I made years back, so if you you have not tuned out due to my lengthy comments above, the solution to that problem was buried between comments about lightning protection and other issues that were unrelated to the problem you are experiencing and the problem I experienced back than. Once I found the solution I posted it and have copied/pasted it below for you.

Note: That in my case the cable company's configuration had changed for some reason...this changed my connection and setup for me even though I had not changed anything on my end. The solution was 'cloning' my router. Below are my comments back than with a link to the solution. I checked the link, it is still valid. Obviously this problem happens to many as that solution has thousands of visits and is probably why they (Linksys) has left it up on their website. Even though you do not have a Linksys Router/Firewall, the steps are identical to what you will have to do for your brand of router. Some of the pictures and menus no doubt will be different for another brand of router, but with the information and the images Linksys provides you should be able to use your router's administrative software which they always provide, and fix the problem.

Note to anyone who thinks talking about something that is an 'older' post, regardless of the number of years, is silly. Obviously many people have experienced this problem today, yesterday and will experience the problem tomorrow when they add a router to their network, so please cut us some slack. I think that we tend to forget how difficult it is to set up a new piece of hardware and/or software when we first attempt it. Even worse when something, as in this case, once set up works literally for years without problems until some other unexpected event happens. C'est la vie.

Here is the quote w/ link thanks to Daniweb including my solution, anyone who needs to 'clone' a router can print the directions and figure them out, even if your hardware is from another manufacturer:

Summary, I shutdown, turned off everything and unplugged all power and network cables to avoid issues with thunderstorm.

When I plugged everything back in and powered up, no access to internet via LinkSys Router and Brighthouse Cable Modem.

I could connect to the internet with one and only one computer through the Brighthouse Cable modem ONLY, but not through the Linksys Router.

Solution: Cloning. You MUST CLONE the Linksys Router, instead of copying the steps here, here is the URL to the Linksys solution.

NOTE / HINT: Before you perform step "8. Restart Your Computer" read ahead on "Checking the MAC address on your Computer" and write down the information, then perform step 8. Enjoy

Also we will all need to do this once in a while so safe the file on your computer for future reference, every time our Cable / DSL companies change something on their end, probably the DNS Servers.

Setting up a Linksys Router with a Cable Modem and a Dynamic IP Address? (more pictures in this one, still see note/hint above):
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

or

How do I setup Road Runner with a Linksys Router?
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

This has only happened to me twice in a little over 6 years, where the cable company changed their network and I had to 're-clone' my hardware firewall/router. So above I should have said that we, "need to do this once in a blue moon" but none the less, when you need em, the directions, you need them.

Once your router/firewall is up and running, they will run until they break or something new is installed and is not compatible for some silly reason. So that is the good news...once you get it up and running, you should be able to forget about it as most of us do, thus the problem remembering how we did it. It just is not something we do every day.

i talked to a computer teacher at my school and he said to look up ip renew and ip configure.
but the computer guy is coming tomorrow at 3 so he'll know how to do what has to be done to fix it.

ok so the computer guy came and he said my modem was defective. i went to time warner got a brand new modem
everything is connected but the internet light on the router blinks yellow instead of green. but when connected all the lights on the modem work fine
its just the light on the router for internet is yellow

help

fixed it. called time warner the guy restarted the modem and i turned everything back on and it works
thanks for those who helped

ok so the computer guy came and he said my modem was defective. i went to time warner got a brand new modem
everything is connected but the internet light on the router blinks yellow instead of green. but when connected all the lights on the modem work fine
its just the light on the router for internet is yellow

help

How the heck did he know it was 'defective'...what do you remember about how he determined this?

It's not that I don't believe him, but since you have gone through 4 routers since January, granted you have only had problems with the last three, the first one through your own admission worked for awhile...well that makes me as skeptical as you appear to be about it.

When they are new out of the box, you could get a bad one, but that is rare...but to get 2 bad ones and one sorta bad...flashing yellow...instead of green, well that seems a bit much to me too.

I will keep my eyes peeled for the meaning of the 'flashing yellow' light, If I can find something I will gladly share.

the way he determined that the modem was bad was bc it wouldn't get a connection through the router because he did all the tests under cmd and msconfig from start run and he tried pinging the ip address and it wouldn't work. he renewed it still didn't work. when you hardwired the computer to the modem and unplugged the eithernet cable than plugged it back you weren't connected you would have to unplug the modem and plug it back in to be connected. when with a normal modem you just plug it back in and its connected also the standby button did not work at all you would press it and it did nothing.
the guy knows what he is doing. hes a pro and has been to thousands of homes. and hes very trust worthy
i mean he came to my house did all that and nothing was solved although he did tell me what i had to to do fix it and that was to get another modem. and charged me 50 dollars. but still anyone would charge you just for coming here and all that the modem i got is brand new so i don't have to worry about it being used by some one else as the one i had was just handed to me not in any box or any plastic or anything.

so everything works and im glad.
thanks guys

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.