ramdaol 0 Newbie Poster

I have 3 printers, 2 HP P1006 and 1 HP 1020 shared on a network with a Windows 2003 Domain and 18 workstations all of them with Windows Xp Professional. The 3 printers are connected to 3 of the workstations, shared and with bidirectional compatibility disabled and it has been working this way for about one year.
Suddenly one of the printer stopped working. The solutions was to reinstall the driver, but every time the workstation the printer is connected to is turned off, the printer stops working. Later I found that if I enable bidirection compatibility and then disable it again, the printer starts working, but only until the computer is turned off again. I can't leave bidirectional compatibility on, because then I have spoolers problems when printing from other computers over the network.
About two days after the first printer failing, a second printer started to show the same behaviour and right now, all 3 printers are doing the same.
I have tried moving the printers to a different workstation, using the drivers from installation CD, using latest drivers from HP page, and of course, contacted HP people. The problem with HP support is that they say none of these printer are desgined to work in a network. Any clue of what could be happening?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.