I have a desktop i am trying to get it connected with wireless adapter. iam able to configure wireless connection settings. once it connects it keeps dropping the wireless connection and connects back in few mins , this happens for ever.

i have other laptops that are connected to internet through the same router. i am able to connect to internet thru wired on the same router for that desktop.

after connecting (with connections dropping) wirelessly the desktop does not have a ip address , not sure what is the issue.....any help will be big help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have a desktop i am trying to get it connected with wireless adapter. iam able to configure wireless connection settings. once it connects it keeps dropping the wireless connection and connects back in few mins , this happens for ever.

i have other laptops that are connected to internet through the same router. i am able to connect to internet thru wired on the same router for that desktop.

after connecting (with connections dropping) wirelessly the desktop does not have a ip address , not sure what is the issue.....any help will be big help

Hello,

I have seen this type of activity before when the wireless is getting interference from other devices or even the adapter it's self. If you have a cordless phone move it away from the computer having problems or unplug it and see if the problem goes away. The other thing is that the wireless signal is a very high frequency and if the system is close to the ground floor (cement foundation) it can cause interference with it's self by reflecting off the floor.

If the router is near by then use the wire instead of wireless. Wire max speed with good signal is 54Mb and wire is 100Mb and has no interference. Just a suggestion.

one thing i found is desktop is able to connect on wireless without security , once i make it secured wireless connection its not able to connect.

rch1231 , i agree wired connection is better , cant keep the desktop near router , it needs to go diff room

Have seen this type of problem before. My own laptop always has a hard time to connect and keep connected with the wireless router at work. At home no problems at all.
The reason is that the chips in the router and the onboard wireless card in the laptop doesn't seem to like each other. There are a lot of wireless cards that can connect without any problem with almost any router, but always have problems with routers of brand X or Y or Z.
Maybe if you search the internet for incompatibility between your router and wireless card....

reset the password on secured access with wired connection and after changing password , disconnected wired connection , connected with wireless connection - it got connected.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.