I've just set up 4 XP running computers on a netgear wireless network, using a WGT624 v2 router and 3 WG111T wireless USB2 adapters.

There's no problem with internet connection sharing, but none of the computers can access each other. I've tried looking around for help on the subject, as netgear's instructions are next to useless, but with no such luck.

The computers can see each other in the router's list of attached devices, but that's it. Is there something I'm not doing? How can I set up the network so I can access any of the other computers from mine?

Any help would be great...

Cheers, Rixter.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Can you ping the other systems? Can you access the other computers using '\\IP-Address\share'? If you're trying to access other systems' shares, have you enabled it on the system?

I've set up folders to be shared on each computer, but as far as pinging the other systems and \\IP-Address\share goes, I haven't got a clue what that is or how to do it...

Bit of a beginner at this stuff...

Click Start then Run and in the open prompt type cmd then click "OK". To find out the ip of the machine type ipconfig and then hit Enter. Write down the IP Address and go to the other machine and follow the same steps above to get into the Command prompt. Once in the command prompt type ping <ip address> (the ip address you wrote down with no < or >).

Example:

ping 192.168.1.101

Sample output:

C:\>ping 192.168.1.101
Pinging 192.168.1.101 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

If you get replies saying "Request timed out" then check your firewall settings and ensure that:

1.) File and print sharing is enabled on both machines (right click any network connection and make sure "MS File and Print sharing" is an installed and enabled componnent.)
2.) Check your firewall to ensure File + Print sharing is allowed under the exceptions (right click any network connection and look at the firewall settings under "Advanced"). Test your pings again, try to view shares by the IP address.

The easiest way to ensure access from machine-to-machine is to create the exact same username and password on each machine so that you're not prompted to authenticate the resource - otherwise you may have to specify an administrator account with rights to use the resource when you try to access it. Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.