So I've tested it out. Using WEP makes your network (pretty much) invisible, duh :P. Now when you setup your wireless router to use MAC Authentication an outsider can see your network and sometimes have the illusion of being connected, but they cannot actually go anywhere. My question is could they catch (or atleast see) any of the packets moving about? Also, theres probably a way to crack everything, but is MAC Authentication more secure than WEP? If you had to choose I mean, obviously both in conjunction would be the most secure.

Thanks and your welcome :P

Shane McP

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Everything on wireless connections can be sniffed. If you have WEP, WPA, or some other encryption running on the connection, the person trying to hijack into the network would have to decifer the security key first (possible given the right software, patience, and a bit of "right place/right time"). If your security is based soley on encryption and they crack the key, they're in. If you also have a layer of MAC-address authentication, they would have to sniff that out of the traffic. I haven't read of anyone sniffing a MAC-address, but I'm sure if they are able to sniff and assemble keys, they can do the same with MAC-addresses. If they get the MAC-address, they can also connect, but it would probably create problems since two machines would be trying to use the same credentials at the same time.

If you only use MAC-address based authentication, it would be easier to break into in comparison to encryption with MAC.

I have no idea if its easier to sniff MAC addresses or WEP. The fact is that all forms of wireless security have large holes that can be exploited if the person trying to break in is diligent enough.

Yeah, I was wondering if they could sniff the MAC address, because they'd be able to spoof it once they got it, then they are in and you may be out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.