Kay here's the deal. I'm trying to network two machines together in the same room, both running XPpro, both recently formatted. I've been fighting with this all night and the closest I get to either PC seeing eachother, is in the Folders Tree under My Network Places/Microsoft Windows Network/MsHome (which I left as the default workgroup name), I can see both PC's (represented my their names). This is true on both machines. HOWEVER, when I try to access the files from the other PC I get an error which says:

"\\'~name of machine trying to access~' is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

I've gone as far as to allow sharing of the entire C: drive of both machines. I've ran the networking wizard numerous times first on the Host then the Client machine, restarting after each.

The host machine (A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.4)connects directly to the internet through the NIVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller. A Crossover cable is used to connect the other controller, the 3Com EMB Fast Ethernet Controller, to a Netgear FA311 NIC on the client.

Not sure what more information to give so if anything else helps, post what you need to know and I'll get back soon. I'll be checking this thread periodically today.

Thanks!!!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Have you tried typing this into the browser?

\\<server's IP address>\<sharename>

Instead of using the names of the machines, try their IP addresses. Let us know if that works.

You need the user name of each user along with their respective password entered on each computer also. If for instance you are logging on to computer A as BastardAle with a password of warmbeer, then you'll need to put that username and password on computer B. It should just ask you for the name and password, but I've had problems with it in the past. XP also likes reboots after enabling the file sharing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.