Hi
i seem to not be able to create a network between my wired and wireless computers at the office.

My modem is connected into an 8-port switch. i have recently added a wireless router by connecting it to the 8 port switch.

my computers that are connected through the wireless router cannot be seen on the network by the wired computer and vice versa.

what do i have to do to put both routers on the same network?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

A lot of this depends on what IP addresses are being used by the wired and wireless networks. If the wireless router is using dhcp and your wired network is also using dhcp then you could logically turn off the DHCP on the wireless system and have the computers obtain an address from your network.
If not send more information on your configuration and we can provide more information or guidance.

My switch's IP is 192.168.1.#
my routers lan is 192.168.2.#
my routers wan is 192.168.1.#

my router is on dhcp. i dont know about the switch. i do not have access to the control panel.

so you are saying that i should take the wireless router off DHCP?

I would try setting the wireless router over to gateway mode and let everything get their IP addresses from the 192.168.1.X network. That way every thing will be on the sam e subnet.

they should both be on the same IP range 192.168.1.X

How do i set it up as gateway mode?

i have a tp-link wr1043-nd

thank you for your time. it is very much appreciated.

I would try setting the wireless router over to gateway mode and let everything get their IP addresses from the 192.168.1.X network. That way every thing will be on the sam e subnet.

You haven't mentioned your other hardware models including whether your modem is just a modem or a modem/router. When setting up my system (many moons ago) I determined that putting the wireless router between the modem and switch (16-port) served two functions: it put an extra firewall between my network and the big bad world; and it allowed the router to handle all the DHCP.
Unless your modem also has router capabilities (some do, some don't) I believe you will need to install the new wireless modem ahead of the switch rather than behind it. In which case, it will likely not need any additional work to make it handle the whole network as it was likely designed to do.

set the same ip range in both network (in switch & router )and turn off your dhcp in router & connect your router &switch via cable (switch Ethernet port to router Ethernet port)

Hi Aderhy !!!!!

u r confusing , a modem with a router . U might hv a wireless router/modem and a modem connected to a switch .

To access devices over a switch u hv to hv them on the same ip subnet . The dhcp u guys are talking depends on the modem which devices are picking up . Each modem has apool of roughly 50 internal ip addresses to be given to users .So there's a chance they might clash

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.