Recently bought new linksys wrt160N router to replace usr5461 in wireless homenetwork. After running the installation wizard no connection with the internet was available. The old router works fine however. Wizard advises me to contact the network provider.
Even after removing the firewall ( PCTools ) there is no answer from internet with ipconfig. Operating system is Windows XP.
What could be the problem?

I'm trying to diagnose the same problem for a client. (wrt160n) I've configured this router many times before - I have one myself. I have one machine running XP and a laptop with Vista, same as the client. I've hardwired the XP machine to the cable modem to configure the router - default settings mostly, SSID, wep/128bit enc., passphrase, and still no internet. Now I can't even see the other computer, and yes -I've checked the workgroup names :). I've turned off his firewall, nothing. I don't think the router's bad because I can talk to it. It has to be something I'm overlooking, but in 20 years I haven't had this much trouble with so little equipment.
If...WHEN I get a solution I'll post it - it's personal now!

This approach is for using a TimeWarner (Roadrunner) cable modem.
***You will need 1 extra ethernet cable (I'll explain in step 5)

1- Before following these directions, please make sure everything is wired correctly for these first few steps. The network cable from the cable modem plugs directly into the back of the Linksys where it says WAN or INTERNET. When you are sure that is correct.. proceed to...

2- you should be able to get on the internet (if not, power down the modem and computer, wait 30 seconds, then power up the modem - wait 30 seconds, then the computer): login to the router using 192.168.1.1 - admin/admin are the default username/pswrd (unless previously changed by you)

*** you may want to start from scratch by resetting the router: using a pen, hold in the little reset button on the back for 30 seconds - this will reset the router to default settings

3- Once in, click the wireless tab and be sure MANUAL is checked - NOT wi-fi protected setup.
Change the network name (SSID) to something other than "linksys" so you'll know it's your network

***BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN AND CLICK SAVE - THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE ON EACH PAGE WHERE CHANGES ARE MADE!

4- now click the wireless security tab:
set the encryption to WEP 128 bit - (Roadrunner recommends 64 for some unknown reason)
(I've also used WPA and had intermittent connectivity problems - your choice)
Now choose a passphrase you will remember, at least 8 characters, then generate the keys
*****WRITE DOWN THE PASSPHRASE AND #1 KEY EXACTLY (DOUBLECHECK IT)
Save your settings and exit the browser.

5- the moment of truth.....

*The modem needs to "register" the [new] router, so...

Power down ALL computers and unplug the modem and router. Wait about 1 minute. During this wait time you will need to unplug the ethernet cable from the computer and plug it in to the router's internet port (clearly labeled). Then plug another cable from the computer into any port on the router labeled 1-4. (This step is only necessary if you want a wired connection for the main computer. I recommend keeping this configuration until you're comfortable that all wireless connections are stable - ah, the extra cable)

Now plug the MODEM ONLY back in. Wait for all lights to come on (about 30-45 seconds)
Now plug in the router and wait again for about 30 seconds.
These 2 devices should now be friends.

6- Now power on the computer and pray you've done everything correctly.
Once the computer is up and running, scan for wireless networks. Select yours, click connect and enter the appropriate information.

You should have full connectivity now.

~~~follow step 6 for additional devices~~~

The above solution has been tried, tested, and verified to be sucessful. Two things I would add would be: 1) to extend the wait time after powering up the modem until all lights are "stabilized". This can take 3-5 minutes in some cases.

2) After all is running smoothly, login to the router again and click the admin tab. Change the login password. Once again write this down, date it, and store it in a safe place. This will eliminate having to reset the router if you forget your password - and you will eventually.

For the more paranoid out there, you can configure DHCP to limit the # of IP addresses the router issues, and even specific physical addresses (MAC addresses) for computers on your network, but that's another thread for another day.

I don't think the original poster will be back, so I've pretty much been talking to myself here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.