I have Verizon Fios, so I am getting my data connection from coaxial. I'm running a cable from one of the ports (not the uplink Verizon generic router/modem) to my E2000, which obviously has this end plugged into the uplink. I haven't had any connection issues wired or wireless, my desktop and PS3 are getting almost three times the bandwidth, cell phone and laptop both have great Wireless N signal finally.

The problem I'm having is as soon as I connected through my E2000 instead of my simple Dynex switch, I can't print from any computer on my E2000 now. Nor can I see any of the computers in my home group or network, obviously. My printer is on and working fine on every other computer in the house, except for the one connecting through the E2000. I haven't tried my laptop yet but I'm assuming it'll have the same problem since I connect through my E2000 for the N signal. I'm not exactly router savvy, so I'm hoping maybe someone has some advice or some ideas I could try so I can get this taken care of? I'm going to keep researching, and see what I can find, but if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I speak under correction, but I think that it may not be possible to print directly from the E2000. Somebody with more know how on the E2000 hardware may correct me here. It may need to connect to a printing server first, or other device, and then to the printer, and your printer needs to have assigned an ip number, I think.

Well, I'm almost positive I can use subnetting to get this to work, but I'm not familiar with it. This only started happening when I replaced my Dynex switch with my Cisco E2000 router (mainly for the Wireless N), I never messed with he DHCP on the original router. But I will mess around with a printing server and see what I can make happen. :)

Please post any results here, it would be interesting to see the outcome.

Good luck

Well, Kraai, so far I still haven't had any success. Granted I've been out of town for the holiday, I'm going to try uninstalling the printer's software on the computer that it's on (and is directly connected to the printer), in hopes of finding an option to manually add IP addresses during the installation. Long shot, I'm sure, but it's worth a shot. I talked to someone who said subnetting would NOT get it to work, and since I spoke to him over the phone, it'd be too much to walk through without him physically being here so I'm gonna try this unless I find something else.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, I can swap my laptop's network from one to the other and just print from that, I'm just doing this because I'm currently in school for Networking/CNS so this is just practice for me. I have trouble admitting defeat and drag-dropping my files from this desktop to the laptop to do that. :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.