I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but it seemed to be the most suitable.
Okay, this is my problem - and its been going on for about two straight months now. Nothing I do seems to fix it. I'm not sure what caused it to start at first, but it just seemed to happen overnight.
Once a day (it seems within less then 24 hours), I lose my internet connection. What I mean by that is that when I try to navigate to a webpage, it will say "Unable to connect" (I use Firefox). The thing that really annoys me is that everything will still seem to be connected. On the bottom righthand of my screen, it still says I am connected to the network. My chat still works - I can still IM people on MSN/AIM. However, if I try to stream from the internet, go to a webpage (on any browser - I tried opera/safari/firefox/explorer) I cannot connect. I have Windows Vista, so I tried using their tools. They agree that I cannot access the internet, but it still shows me as being connected to my network.
A little background:
- I have Windows Vista Ultimate
- Its a Gateway desktop
- However, it happens on my parent's computer at home too (they have Windows XP). So I don't feel its a Vista issue.
- I am at college, so I am using my college's ISP, and it never happens to anyone else - no roommates or friends have that problem - and we are all connected straight to ports in the wall. I have also tried plugging into different ports, that doesn't seem to work
- I have used every single virus protection program to scour my system. I have never found anything.
- I have tried enabling/disabling/resetting/ my internet connection. Nothing seems to work. It always says I am still connected, but I can't access the internet.
- I have a wireless card, I have tried disabling my ethernet connection and only using my wireless connection - that does not work either
Oh. I almost forgot. The ONLY, ONLY, ONLY way to get that fixed is to reboot the computer or go away for a few hours. Then it randomly fixes itself and I can browse the web again. Now, if it was once a week, I wouldn't mind rebooting the computer. But its become less then 24 hours every single day. Rebooting every single day has become a reallllll pain in the butt for two straight months.
I have tried contacting my college's IT department, but they can never reproduce the problem. Simply because you have to be in front of the computer, using the internet to see when it happens.
I have tried googling for a solution for this problem, but I've never found a solution. I HAVE found other people with the same problem as me, but nobody has fixed it yet. If anyone could help me, I would be very, very, very, very thankful.