Can you tell me if I've chosen the proper equipment to do this?
I have Cable Broadband

Netgear WNDR3400 Router
--Wireless connect Laptop PC
--Wireless connect Nintendo Wii (2.4 GHz)
------Wired from Router to PC Computer
------Future Wire from Router to Satellite Reciever
------Wired from Router to Switch, Netgear GS608 (apprx 60 ft)

Then, Wired into the GS608 Switch is:
------Satellite Reciever
------TV
------Media Server (Xbox original)
------Bluray DVD
------Future Satellite Reciever
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

lol
it seems you wanna go big, for a home network that is..
but it seems very nice if it is one of your firsts ,
i am from south Africa , so not sure how things differ but here we can get the cable broadband modem and the wireless as one item with 4+ ports switch build in to one, if you have all the equipment already GO 4 IT, otherwise see to get a all in one with maybe just a small hub/switch connected to it
:)
enjoy playing like this , its great fun
b

lol
it seems you wanna go big, for a home network that is..
but it seems very nice if it is one of your firsts ,
i am from south Africa , so not sure how things differ but here we can get the cable broadband modem and the wireless as one item with 4+ ports switch build in to one, if you have all the equipment already GO 4 IT, otherwise see to get a all in one with maybe just a small hub/switch connected to it
:)
enjoy playing like this , its great fun
b

Thanks in advance for your help.
I made the attempt last night to install and all I could get working was my pc connection to the internet plugged into the router. I can't connect wireless nor will any of the devices connected to the switch. I used the simple automatic "smart wizard" install vs manual.
Then this morning, I could not connect to the internet with my pc. (I hibernate my pc each night rather than shut down, so that may be something I need to change.) But even after resetting the modem and router and re-booting, still no connection. I can by-pass the router and connect, but not through the router.
Your advice ? Should I reset the router to factory defaults and start over with a MANUAL install ? One troubleshooting bit I read, suggested that my ISP may allow only one MAC address to connect. Is this a problem to deal with and is there a work around for that? I know only enough about this stuff to get me into trouble. Hope you can be patient with me.

hey No-Problem
make sure your router has not used the quest account settings to your provider rather than your real login info.
most routers are suppose to also give you ip addresses, just double check on that for all your devices , also remember that you have to have a shared key and SSID for your wireless connections to be able to make it work and it has to be set in your router.
can you log into your router to check these things, also most service providers offer telephone help for you to make your connections work - the help-desk
i also like hibernating but it does definitely make things more difficult so do shut down at least once a week and everytime you do a system change

barryt

hey No-Problem
make sure your router has not used the quest account settings to your provider rather than your real login info.
most routers are suppose to also give you ip addresses, just double check on that for all your devices , also remember that you have to have a shared key and SSID for your wireless connections to be able to make it work and it has to be set in your router.
can you log into your router to check these things, also most service providers offer telephone help for you to make your connections work - the help-desk
i also like hibernating but it does definitely make things more difficult so do shut down at least once a week and everytime you do a system change

barryt

I made some progress. I reset the router to factory defaults and started the install over.
Now my PC connects fine. I figured out the security and I can connect wireless with the laptop and Wii.

I have issues with the line I have going to the switch at my home theater. I can NOT connect any of the devices to the internet through the switch.
However, the TV, BluRay and Xbox WILL connect to the internet if separately and directly wired to the router. The satellite reciever will not connect either way.

What can I do to determine why the switch is not working ?

Thanks

I made some progress. I reset the router to factory defaults and started the install over.
Now my PC connects fine. I figured out the security and I can connect wireless with the laptop and Wii.

I have issues with the line I have going to the switch at my home theater. I can NOT connect any of the devices to the internet through the switch.
However, the TV, BluRay and Xbox WILL connect to the internet if separately and directly wired to the router. The satellite reciever will not connect either way.

What can I do to determine why the switch is not working ?

Thanks

I can connect to the internet through the switch now. I manually assigned IP in the settings for each device and “reserved” IP for each device on the router.

That is ONLY when my main PC is up and connected to the internet as well.

Once the PC is shutdown, hibernated or on standby, I loose my network connection on the switched devices.

The TV, BluRay and Xbox will still connect to the internet if separately and directly wired to the router.

Why do the switched devices loose connection when the PC is off line ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.