I've been having an extremely frustrating problem with the wireless internet connection with my Laptop. I read a few of the other topics to check if anyone else has the same issues with most of them saying their connection drops after half an hour or so. However, mine only lasts a minute or two before it dosconnects. Usually, the connection is found several moments later, but this leads to downloads bein disrupted, freezing web pages etc.

What's interesting is I'm the only one in my household to have this issue, and I've had a little look at the settings of my wireless network and such, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

But, the strangest thing about my problem is this; Having a call active on Skype allows my connection to remain unbroken as long as the call is maintained. Although it keeps my internet up, it's tedious. It's almost as though my connection only stays up when it's transferring something; I used to run youtube videos in order to try and keep up the connection, which sometimes helped.

I would really appreciate any advice, it's driving me mad!

There can be many reasons for this, and you should eliminate them one by one.

Lets start with the basics:

1. Does your connection also disconnect when you use a direct ethernet cable?
2. Is your disconnection time-out when idle settings ticked? Control Panel > Internet options . Connections > Settings > Advanced:
Remove the ticks from both of the 'Disconnect if Idle for...' boxes (THIS may be LOCATED somewhere else depending on your OS)
3. Did you restart your router, by switching the power of, and remove the power cable from it for about 3-5 minutes, and then switch it back on again? Sometimes, this is all it takes to fix the problem.

Lets do above things first, and if problem still there, we can continue with more. Please state your wireless router name and make, and your laptop OS if problem continues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.