Hi everyone, I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to home computing and networking, though by no means an expert. I am currently going to school online for a degree in IT/Networking and have just about completed my first academic year. This means I will finally be getting into my core classes.
While trying to help my cousin find a part for her PC a phone call I made to a company local to her area, not mine, said they sometimes need help in the area I live in. The problem is they are strictly a business class oriented support company, which means, server support. As far as my knowledge goes about servers, I’ve seen a couple. What I would like to find out from you all is this: are there interactive tutorials on the net for server basics, servers for beginners tutorials, or any like information that could point me in the right direction. I know I can google it, but sifting through the mountains of information takes forever. I figured since this is an IT-centric site someone may be able to point me in the right direction, knowing exactly where to look, saving me some time, that could be used learning instead of searching. I would love to be able to help this company out and be able to do some contract work for them. If any of you have any information on the subject I would be most appreciative. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The best thing to do is build and play with your own. If you dont have a spare computer kicking around a quick goolge for VPS providers will yeald many cheap monthly options.

Grab a box/vps and build a server to host a simple cms such as Wordpress or Media wiki, then setup your server to allow you to send a receive mail.

Find out what you would be doing at the company and setup similar systems on your server.

The best thing to do is build and play with your own. If you dont have a spare computer kicking around a quick goolge for VPS providers will yeald many cheap monthly options.

Grab a box/vps and build a server to host a simple cms such as Wordpress or Media wiki, then setup your server to allow you to send a receive mail.

Find out what you would be doing at the company and setup similar systems on your server.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try just that. As far as an OS what should I look into? UBUNTU, UNIX, LINUX, MS server?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.