richsilv 0 Newbie Poster

<context>
I have a simple Home Network. A few PCs (with fixed IP addrs) and a couple of laptops that are configured to use DHCP, all configured to a local Workgroup. In order to help out my wife and daughter with their PC issues (or to install updates and such) I use RDC... I have added the fixed IP addresses and names to the local HOSTS files.

With this, I can RDC by name, to the PCs. But I cannot RDC to the laptops by name (I can RDC to them by IP address, if I go discover it).

I made sure Network Discovery is enabled, each PC/Laptop has RDC and Remote Assistance enabled, all that... The firewalls are configured to allow such traffic...

I'm pretty sure that my issue is that there is no "local" DNS Server or WINS Server in the Workgroup.
</context>

How does one install a DNS (or WINS) server onto Windows 7 (or Win XP)? (I know I could install a Linux system and have its Samba Server "fake" a Wins Server, but I'd like to avoid that route at this time...)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.