I have spent weeks looking for a solution online but I have turned up with nothing.
I am running Windows XP Professional (this has been tried on both service pack 2 and service pack 3) but every time I try to run the Cisco VPN client I get "Error 56: The Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service has not been started. Please start this service and try again"
The obvious solution: Start the service. I do this from services but the service will not stay active. I sometimes get a message saying that it started then stopped and that some services will stop when not used but other times it simply stops. Either way, it will not stay on.
Searching online, the only solution I could find was to disable the service for Internet Connection Sharing. I have disabled "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" in services and set the start up to Manual so that it doesn't start on boot.
Here is a list of everything I have tried and the results:
- Manually starting the service - Service stops instantly
- Disabling Internet Connection Sharing and starting the VPN service - same result as 1.
- Enabling the network created by the VPN software - is constantly "Obtaining IP address" and doesn't start the service. Starting the service at this point yeilds the same results as 1. and also disables the VPN network connection.
- To esure it was installed properly, the VPN client was uninstalled and all records of it removed from the registry.
- Firewall and anti-virus has been completely disabled.
I'm at a loss here. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to try? Have I missed something obvious?