Hello,

I'm having big problems while configuring new router/firewall box. There's old box which is working fine, but it's 10 years old (P1, 133Mhz, 16MB Flash Disk, 64MB RAM) :$

I Have:
WiFi Orinoco 5v 16bit PCMCIA adapter.
Old rusty external WiFi antenna.
Brand new router/firewall box (an old PC :D P4 1.8GHz, 80GB, 256MB RAM) - should do just fine, i think :-/

I Need:
To replace old box with new one :)
Connect to Ad-Hoc network.
Give internet access to computers on local network.

So, as i mentioned above, everything is working right now, but when i try to connect to Ad-Hoc, nothing is working (except local network). Biggest problem here, i think, is me, and lack of networking skills. (I think i have none :D)

Besides of getting headache, i've emailed ISP, in response got few console commands and that's about it :/

iwpriv eth0 set_port3 1
iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig eth0 channel 13 rate 11M rts 2340
ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0

p.s I know all ip's/gateway's/dns's i don't think you need them to solve this. If you do tell me :)

Tried few popular firewall/router Unix distributions like (IPcop, m0n0wall, pfSense, zeroShell) and of course Debian 5.1, openSuse 11.1, Ubuntu 9.10 - nothing helped.

SOS?
HALP :D

bump? :(

Why oh why? :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.