file sharing has not worked since April. worked for several months w/o much issue before that. Been all over net to find answer, no go. computers see one another, (usually) but still no sharing. people that made the router was willing to help right up to the time I noted that this is a WIRED and NOT a wireless network (workgroup). she then sez that I need to CALL their tech support which I would try if not leary of having to listen to more than several minutes of air. desktop can be xfered but still no sharing. Static IPs have been tried but invariably to the expense of no internet.
Platforms: xp3, win7.
D-link router.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I had a similar problem with Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. On Windows 7 I had a couple of shared folders. Windows 8 could see them but didn't have access to them. The solution is to grant Security permissions for Everyone and Home Group Users. You do this in the Security tab, which is located right next to the Sharing tab. If you don't see Everyone then you have to add it by using the Advanced option.

Also, some firewalls will block other computers from accessing shared folders. My Windows 7 computer was running McAfee firewall and I had to turn that feature off.

Is this on a domain, are the users the same on all machines, if they are just workstations? Even with Homegroup, XP computers should still be able to access shared folders on computers running other OS's.

What third party software are they running on these machines, what router are they using?

1) Turn off all windows firewalls. then test
2) Run IPCONFIG /ALL on each and note results. Are they all on the same subnet with same gateway and DNS?
3) Ping another PC by IP?
4) Ping another PC by full FQDN name? Does the FQDN even resolve?
5) IS there WINS on the network?
6) Are the workstations running any other protocols other than TCPIP?
7) Are there any hostfiles or lmhosts files with entries on any workstation?

Answer these for me please.

Greg z.

Is this on a domain, are the users the same on all machines, if they are just workstations? Even with Homegroup, XP computers should still be able to access shared folders on computers running other OS's.
What third party software are they running on these machines, what router are they using?
If you'll re-read the post this is a workgroup and both are set to same workgroup name.
3rd party. Ambiguous query. In the post the router manuf. IS named.
With Homegroup, yes, I agree, it most certainly should work, but they DON'T.

A. D.

I had a similar problem with Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. On Windows 7 I had a couple of shared folders. Windows 8 could see them but didn't have access to them. The solution is to grant Security permissions for Everyone and Home Group Users. You do this in the Security tab, which is located right next to the Sharing tab. If you don't see Everyone then you have to add it by using the Advanced option.
Also, some firewalls will block other computers from accessing shared folders. My Windows 7 computer was running McAfee firewall and I had to turn that feature off.

Security permissions. Don't recall having tried that one but will, will post the results. Did read several places that this prob. is all about permissions, and, tried some of them as best as I could follow but no results of note. Apparently I'm not looking at the mentioned tabs.
Firewalls. Have tried various settings w/Firewall turned off on both with no discernable results. McAfee is running on both and was running when file sharing was working. As an oddity, there are several port settings in the firewall on the xp but none whatever on the Win7?

C.X.

1) Turn off all windows firewalls. then test
Turning off firewalls resolves nothing.
2) Run IPCONFIG /ALL on each and note results. Are they all on the same subnet with same gateway and DNS?
Same subnet.
3) Ping another PC by IP?
0 loss of data.
4) Ping another PC by full FQDN name? Does the FQDN even resolve?
Tried what I thought would work, results were inconclusive.
5) IS there WINS on the network?
No WINS.
6) Are the workstations running any other protocols other than TCPIP?
Not that I know of
7) Are there any hostfiles or lmhosts files with entries on any workstation?
If there were I've no way to know where they are.

Answer these for me please.

It's been many years since I used XP so I don't know if the Security tab is available on XP or not.

As for McAfee -- see picture

Here is picture of my McAfee setting

96c3e2240bce6b14219f709e3b578242

My McAfee ver is slightly different. When told it's a trusted machine it's supposed to create a complementrary prompt on the trusted machine for a pswd entry, which it never has.

Time to dump McAfee. Unless you are out roaming on public networks, you really can get by on your private network without a Firewall; since the router is doing the job of protecting you.

McAfee and Comodo are very good at screwing things up, when it comes to being too restrictive on a machine, on your own network, due to how the enginers that designed the program want it to be their way.

GZ appreciate your comeback, however, dumping McAfee isn't relevant as it didn't change anything when it was disabled on both.

Some good news, managed to have access to share assets in Win7 on the xp, effectively, file sharing. The bad news is that there is still no backwards compatability, i.e. no fs on W7. On it, the same thread is still effective(nw path not found).
Applying the same port permissions f/w7 in McAfee that exist on the xp don't help. McAfee wanted me to reinstall the product, which I would have if not for the fact that I'd already done that w/no better results.
The closest thing to a answer from W7's trouble shooters is the notation that "it's a network issue". Other times the result is non-conclusive.

Mostly it lies with the Folder share permission, you must share folder permission to all users if not it will not be available for all the users on the network.
Another issue is the ip address, where it is not broadcasting.and a firewall.
But mostly the problem lied with folder permission access.

I have also this problem. Thanksto discussion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.