Hello everybody. My internet speed is quite decent. I don't use much of it when I am using the computer. But one thing that really irritates me is how little bandwidth I get when my siblings are using it too. I usually play MMO games like World of Tanks and MW3 and those 2 games shouldn't take up a ton of the bandwidth. But, whenever my siblings are streaming netflix or playing online browser games, the ping on the games I am playing just goes wacko. It goes really high for a few seconds and then back to really low and then calms down at a pretty moderate value. Is there any way I can reserve like 20% of my internet bandwidth for the games I play? I read an article online that forces Windows to take up 100% of all the bandwidth but I don't want that. Solutions?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hello everybody. My internet speed is quite decent. I don't use much of it when I am using the computer. But one thing that really irritates me is how little bandwidth I get when my siblings are using it too. I usually play MMO games like World of Tanks and MW3 and those 2 games shouldn't take up a ton of the bandwidth. But, whenever my siblings are streaming netflix or playing online browser games, the ping on the games I am playing just goes wacko. It goes really high for a few seconds and then back to really low and then calms down at a pretty moderate value. Is there any way I can reserve like 20% of my internet bandwidth for the games I play? I read an article online that forces Windows to take up 100% of all the bandwidth but I don't want that. Solutions?

That has something to do with your internet provider.

It's normal that everyone is using the the same bandwidth.

Check your Router settings and see if it uses QoS, or Quality of Service. This feature should allow you the control you are looking for. If you don't know how to do this then please tell us the make and model of your Router.

QOS is the way to go here. It depends on the router you use and whether or not it is a supported feature.

With QOS, you can specify that all HTTP traffic is low priority while other types of traffic (like VOIP) would get higher priority.

Okay yeah, I talked to my friend and he talked about the QOS. The only thing I need to do is remember the password to my router...

Member Avatar for Warrens80

My only advice is to buy your siblings each a laptop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.