-i setup a small network of 10 XP2 units with 2 enterprise 2003 server one main and 1 proxy.

-i shared 1 drive on the main server and placed all softwares there that i needed.then i joined the clients to the main server and was able to access the shared drive. then few days later i check the network. i went to the mynetworkplaces - windowsnetwork and was able to see the name of my domain i open it i saw all the icon of all the computers in the domain one problem is that i cant access it. it says that i dont have permission so i went to the DNS tab and give my self full permissions to all the computers but still it says that i dont have permission. then i try to ping the computer and it fails it says "host unreachable or request timeout" but whats odd is that all the computers can ping the main server and access the shared drive but why is that the server can access and ping them.

-can anyone help me pls.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Are you pinging the server by there FQDN's (Full Qualified Domain Names) or ip address? If it is by FQDN I would try the IP's to rule out a DNS problem.
Also does your DC have itself listed as the fist DNS server under your tcp/ip properties? Have you tried doing a NSLOOKUP on the clients from the server?

AJZ

-this showed up when i use nslookup
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SECURITYSERVER>nslookup terminal-01
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.2: Non-existent domain
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.2
Name: terminal-01.BIEx.net
Address: 192.168.0.104

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SECURITYSERVER>^A

-the 192.168.0.2 is the ip address of the server
-where can i find that DC

-this showed up when i use nslookup
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SECURITYSERVER>nslookup terminal-01
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.2: Non-existent domain
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.2
Name: terminal-01.BIEx.net
Address: 192.168.0.104

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SECURITYSERVER>^A

-the 192.168.0.2 is the ip address of the server
-where can i find that DC

A DC is a domain controller do you have active directory and DNS installed on one of your servers?

-i joined the clients to the main server

How did you join the clients to the server?

If you are not using your own DNS you can update the hosts file c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc edit hosts. The file should look like this....

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.2 Your_Machine_names

If you update your hosts file on your server with all the clients ip's and names you should be able to map drives, ping, etc. to them using there name.

AJZ

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.