Hi, I'm about to hookup my new Dell desktop (Windows XP Pro) and start a network. But after reading all the unhappy customers about their failure to connect or have a worthy connection to the router (i.e. connection establishes, but there are repetitive disconnects). So, does anyone have any suggestions/tips on what kind of USB Wireless Card I should purchase that would match as much as possible to my 2WIRE router?

Also, I've been thinking about my PSP. It's been hacked into, etc., but I fail to test my theory -- using my PSP as a USB wireless card. Does anyone think I'm just a dreaming nerd with serial port fantasies or has anyone discovered a way to use the PSP in that manner yet?

Thanks in advance. :)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Just bought a Linksys Wireless G USB adapter... works great on the old Win98 laptop. I would suggest this.

Also, I've been thinking about my PSP. It's been hacked into, etc., but I fail to test my theory -- using my PSP as a USB wireless card. Does anyone think I'm just a dreaming nerd with serial port fantasies or has anyone discovered a way to use the PSP in that manner yet?

Nope, I don't think there's a way.... but check this out:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/09/use-your-psp-as-a-pc-joystick/

I've been a bit dissapointed with the linksys wireless equipment range is shite and they are too sensitive to interferance. It i've tried the netgear Netgear WPN111 RangeMax and was qiute impressed with its performance. It does depend on your router though too some adapters work better with different routers than others do.!

Well, my signal level on my MacBook's airport was twice as high as the Linksys wireless adapter, but part of this may be due to the fact that I just plugged the adapter directly into the laptop, and didn't use the extension cable used for better range.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm still one square one, though. I'm just afraid of purchasing something because I absolutely hate returning merchandise. Besides, the new setup will be in the next room over, not in the backyard or anything, oh well, I'll never know til I try. I've been thinking about either this, http://www.bizrate.com/nic/pid7825927/compareprices__keyword--linksys%20usb%20card.html or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRFI8A/sr=8-1/qid=1156445797/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3442503-8408809?ie=UTF8

I'm leaning closer towards the Linksys WUSB54GC, though...

Trust me, I've worked on a kabillion wireless setups over time. There is no ONE specific answer regarding what works or what doesn't; it all depends on the individual site where you're installing the thing. Here's what I do; buy what I need, if it doesn't work IMMEDIATELY right out of the box, I don't mess with drivers, tech support, etc., I just return it and try another brand until I find what will work. Trial and error, for me, has been the only solution to wireless install problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.