This is my first post, apologies if I get anything wrong. Suspect this is something hard-to-fix :sad:
- Home LAN, DSL into a Linksys WAG54G DSL router
- 2 year old high spec PC as main server, wired connection
- 5 year old PC used by kids, wired connection
- 2 newish laptops, wireless connection
- all running XP Home with SP2
- problem is with the "main server PC"
- started getting intermittent dropped connection flashing in system try icon with message "a network cable is unplugged"
- intermittent problem got gradually worse over a period of 2 months
- became a permenant problem about a month ago
Steps taken so far:
- replaced cable with one that I know works, no difference
- tried each of the 4 wired points on the Linksys, no difference
- disabled the built in LAN card, rebooted, then re-enabled, no difference (well the network connection flashed a few times and I think I managed to download an e-mail, but then it disappeared since)
- went out and bought a new LAN card (Netgear GA311 10/100/1000 PCI card), disabled old one, installed new one, no difference
- hunted on Google and found DaniWeb, tried the solution listed here and tried changing settings from "Autodetect" to "Full Duplex 1000", no difference (also tried "Full Duplex 1000")
All the other PCs (the wired desktop and two wireless laptops) have continued as before, no problem, so I think the DSL/Router/Switch are ok. Thought it might be the PC (mfr went bust so my 5 year support contract is little use) but since new LAN card made no difference I'm suspicious about XP...
Any other ideas?