pahnub 0 Newbie Poster

I don't know if this is the right forum for this problem, mods please move it if it belongs somewhere else.

Okay, I have been all over the internet trying to figure out the problem I am having with PCAnywhere, so I figured I would try here.

I am trying to set up a host. It is running Windows Xp home edition. It is on a LAN and connects to the internet through a router. The computer that needs to connect to it, is thrity miles away and is running Win98. They need to connect over the internet. The host computer has a dynamic IP address obtained from the router, and our ISP provides a dynamic IP address for our internet connection.

Here is what I have done so far.

• I have assigned the Host machine a static IP address, 192.168.1.2
  • I have forwarded ports 5631 and 5632 to the IP address 198.162.1.2 in the router configuration.
  • I have signed up with no-ip.com to solve our dynamic ISP IP address, and run the DUC on the host machine.
  • On the remote machine I have told it to try to connect to our DNS provided by no-ip.com (for example: instead of telling it to connect to IP address 68.245.61.68, I have told it to connect to domainname.no-ip.info) this does not work, and neither does telling it to connect directly to the current IP address
  • When PCAnywhere searches the DNS provided by no-ip it sees the domain name but gives the status of the host as unknown. It does this even if the host machine is not currently in host mode
  • I have disabled the XP firewall, and even set up a DMZ in the router, and I still get no connectivity
  • As far as I know I do not believe we are behind a proxy server, we are using Comcast business high speed cable
  • We are using a Linksys befsr41 v4.1 router, which is connected to a SMC ez connect cable modem gateway

At this point I am completely lost as to what to try. I can connect to the host from other computers over the LAN, but I have been unsuccesful at connecting over the internet.

Any help would be much appreciated.